Water Chemistry - Pt. 4: Phosphoric vs. Lactic Acid for Mash pH | exBEERiment Results

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brulosopher

Reaction score
Water chemistry in brewing is key and one important component to that is mash pH. While pH can be controlled to some degree with minerals, brewers tend to rely on acid to make significant reductions, the two most popular of which are phosphoric and lactic. In this xBmt, we investigate whether the type of acid used makes a noticeable difference. Results are in!

http://brulosophy.com/2016/05/09/wa...d-for-mash-ph-adjustment-exbeeriment-results/

Nice exBEERiment :mug:

I have used Lactic acid for the past few years with RO water on lighter beers (usually 1-3 mLs in 6-9 gal of mash water) so I tend to stay way under the taste threshold for Lactic.

Interestingly, I have been researching as of late, reducing alkalinity with phosphoric acid. I guess what I am trying to find out is how quickly does it reduce the alkalinity in the source water. IE, would it be better for me to treat the water the night before, or on brewday before brewing. My water is ~200ppm bicarbonate, ~175 Total Alkalinity, and Ca/Cl/So4 all ~60ppm. Per Bru'n Water, it would be around 15mL of Phosphoric acid to treat my entire source water. This would then preserve my flavor ions and allow to to allocate less on my mineral additions like I have to do with RO water.

For the past few years, I have been using RO water, which is really cheap and convenient, and has drastically improved my hop-forward beers. So all in all, I dont think using source water would be any more convenient. I guess I am more interested in knowing the basic process of treating my water if need be, and being able to do it successfully.

Back