Water calculations w/mash out

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dexter0380

Reaction score
My recipe calls for a 10 minute mash out at 170F. Where in my water calculations do I include the added water for the mash out? I know my mash water amount and I know my sparge amount. Do I just subtract it from my total sparge amount?

I would mash with a constant amount. Then you need to collect the right amount for preboil volume, so you should subtract it from the sparge.

If you are doing a batch sparge, skip the mash out. You are getting to a boil relatively quickly, not 45-60 minutes of fly sparging so you don't need to "lock in the profile".

Agreed with above. Take the mashout volume out of the sparge volume. Mashouts are not necessary unless you're fly sparging

As others have said, if you're doing a batch sparge, mashing out is relatively unnecessary. If you're doing a batch sparge, just sparge with near boiling water. There has been some fairly extensive work over the past years regarding the temperature of batch sparging water with regards to acting as a more traditional mashout or if it makes lautering easier.

From what I understand:
  1. It doesn't act as a traditional mashout (as it relates to denaturing the enzymes), since the sparges, once cycled through the mash, don't bring the overall collected wort to mashout temps.
  2. Temperature of batch sparges doesn't impact extraction efficiency or improve lautering.

Despite "not mattering" I still sparge with very hot water, if for nothing else than to bring the total collected wort to a boil quicker. Still, nothing keeping you from doing it, so if you go that route, you can either just subtract the amount of intended mashout water from your intended sparge water, or you could perform a decoction - where replacing the decocted portion would get your mash to mashout temps.

Back