Water calculation for BIAB

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joon75

Reaction score
I'm trying to figure boil off rate, trub loss, grain absorption, etc. my question is for trub loss do I need to enter a number if I'm using a hop spider. I'm using a 15.5 gallon keg. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I'm trying to figure boil off rate, trub loss, grain absorption, etc. my question is for trub loss do I need to enter a number if I'm using a hop spider. I'm using a 15.5 gallon keg. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

If everything goes from your kettle to your fermenter you have no trub loss there. You most likely will have some loss between the fermenter and final packaging

I do 5-gal batches of BIAB and usually start off with ~7gal, lose maybe 1/2gal from sparging (I try to squeeze the bag as much as I can), 1 gal loss from 60 min boil, 1/2gal loss of trub and crap in the kettle that my dip tube cant reach

I dont have any exact measurements because I stopped measuring my water maybe 50 batches ago. Very unscientific, but I just eyeball the starting water level and adjust based on how much space I need for grains. Anyways, those number may be a good starting point. With a larger batch size, you would probably still have similar losses for the boil and kettle trub...

You will have some hops absorption with a hop spider, just like you have grain absorption. Hops absorption will depend on how well you drain the spider, and whether or not you squeeze wort out of the hops.

Brew on :mug:

Use my website in my sig, also does all the calculations for you, is much easier to use, and does some things beersmith doesnt.

Back