Water Analysis

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morrey

Reaction score
As a semi-experienced but still learning AG home brewer, I had been missing out on most of the water adjustments that more experienced brewers have figured out. I had been using RO water (largely unadjusted) and guess I was getting by but probably not brewing to the full potential. I thought all along my city tap water may be ok so I confirmed that with Wards Labs. Based on other reports I have read, my water is very nice as a platform to adjust. One fellow brewer told me I was close to distilled water from my tap. Wow.

My question is what exactly to do with this water to meet my goals. I love making light Pilsners, Helles, Dortmunder, Hefes and similar low IBU, light SRM beers. I don't expect to treat water for this entire list of beers all the same, but to me, they have some similar characteristics.

My real question comes after I spent a long tour with a respected brewer in Asheville NC. He said that many home brewers strive to adjust their water to emulate the water of the region from which they wish to make similar beers. Then he said....."it is HIGHLY UNLIKELY that any nationally recognized brewery pulls water straight from a system and uses it "as is". Water adjustment programs simply telling the composition of a regional water source may be misleading. Also, I personally would not say sure come on in and test my water so you can report it to the world". He made sense to me, but not sure how much info is actually shared worldwide.

Given the likelihood he is right, and that the regional water source in Dortmund Germany is greatly different from the water adjusted to brew Dortmunder Export, how should I approach my water adjustments?

Thanks, as always, for your advice.

I think you and the brewer have a valid point in that you probably don't know the exact profile used in any big time breweries brewing water. I think I would guard that secret myself if my business depended on that.

Anyway, I'd personally just select a profile that matches your style like a malt forward, light yellow SRM brew. Adjust water and keep notes. Readjust next time and make small changes at a time. It takes some time to get this all figured out.

Back