Water Adjustments

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jjp36

Reaction score
I've got an upcoming DIPA i want to brew since my 3lbs of hops just arrived and have a question. This is the first beer i plan on doing water adjustments too. I downloaded Brew Water and let it calculate the additions for me (i'm using distilled as my base water). That part I've got under control.

There is also a section for pH control, where it suggests adding acid to balance the pH. I was wondering if this is necessary, and if so where should i go about finding it, or would i just be able to add some 5.2 stabilizer like i normally do? I'm not sure if adding the 5.2 will throw all the mineral/salt additions out of whack. Thoughts?

If you are doing the mineral adjustments from distilled then you won't need any acid. As long as your target profile is based off the style you are brewing you should be in the ball-park. I'll sometimes throw a small amount of 5.2 in the mash just to make sure it hits the right PH, a little bit won't hurt anything.

Make sure you have your mineral additions calculated for both additions, one to the mash and one to the boil

Good luck on that. I called the guys at 5 star chemicals and asked that same question. He wouldn't give me an answer one way or the other. He did say it would have an impact on mineral additions, but without knowing the ingredients there's no way to counter act.

Make sure you have your mineral additions calculated for both additions, one to the mash and one to the boil

I was under the impression that i can treat all my brewing water at once? If i treat all the water in my HLT then i'll be good for the mash and sparge correct? Do i need another adjustment in the kettle?

A lot of the brewing salts wont' dissolve in water with a neutral PH, so that is why you add them to the mash and then add the rest to the boil. I did treat the whole batch in the HLT one time and ended up cleaning all the salts out of the bottom of the HLT after I was done brewing, I had stirred the water a lot, recirculated etc but they just didn't dissolve.

I'm getting into water treatment myself. What salts should we be throwing into the mash so it disolves?

klamz - that depends on your current water profile... Do you know your bi-carbonate levels, and calcium and sulfate levels?

klamz - that depends on your current water profile... Do you know your bi-carbonate levels, and calcium and sulfate levels?

i know what to add but "where" to add it is the question. so i calculated for a specific recipe that ill need 2grams of chalk 2 grams of epsom salt and 2 grams of baking soda. do I add it all to the HLT? will it disolve fully? do i need to add some of them to the mash? should i put all the chalk into the mash and use the bakind soda and epsom for the HLT water?

i know what to add but "where" to add it is the question. so i calculated for a specific recipe that ill need 2grams of chalk 2 grams of epsom salt and 2 grams of baking soda. do I add it all to the HLT? will it disolve fully? do i need to add some of them to the mash? should i put all the chalk into the mash and use the bakind soda and epsom for the HLT water?

Add your water adjustments in ratio to the water you are using. If you use 2 G of water out of a total 6 G to mash, then add 1/3 of your salts to your mash. Add the rest to the boil. If you calculate correctly you mash should be fine without the 5.2.

I would add it all to the mash where it will dissolve better.

If you do that your pH will be way off.

Back