watching fermentation is fascinating

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andyoesq

Reaction score
So, for many people jumping into home brewing, I believe the most common set up is to start with buckets. I know that is the way I got started. Too many horror stories about glass breaking / hard to clean / etc.
I brewed my first 10 or so batches in buckets, and had no idea what I was missing.
I ordered a big mouth bubbler, and was amazed to actually be able to see the fermentation occurring. needed a flashlight to be able to see it well, but was amazed to see volcano explosion of the yeast working. The violent rising and falling for yeast clumps, the natural hurricanes of CO2 rising. I bought a 6.5 gallon glass carboy, solely to be able to better see the fermentation occur, and it is amazing.
I know, for those of you that started with glass carboys, you are thinking "big deal, who cares".
But trust me, many people starting today have never seen it.
If you have only used buckets, and really want to appreciate what is going on during fermentation, trust me get a glass carboy, and watch it one time. It is amazing.
It also takes away the "why is my air lock not bubbling. Is fermentation still going on?" line of questioning - trust me, you can see it, and see when it stops. Makes bubbling irrelevant.

That happened with me too. Brew most of my initial batches in plastic buckets and neved used the glass carboy I bought initially. Until one week my 2 buckets were still fermenting and I made a Bells 2 Hearted clone and put on the glass carboy. That S04 yeast fermenting is something amazing.

it literally is like watching a time lapse video of the storms of Saturn. never gets old, amazing. truly adds to the feeling that you truly are creating something

I just brewed my first batch of beer, and I used a carboy. I race home from work to look at it. Wake up and its the first thing I do. I even got up last night to use the washroom andwent to take a peek. Its like christmas morning everyday!

Know what you mean....I started with one gallon batches in glass jugs. Have since moved on to 5 gallons brews in buckets. I miss watching the yeast at work.

Did the same thing when I first started.
Was in awe of what an 11 gram packet of Nottingham in 5 gallons of sugar water could do.
Commented to my wife that I was glad that yeast don't consume flesh, cuz mankind would be in trouble if they did.

I use glass carboys and love being able to watch my fermentation. You can learn a lot from watching fermentation happen and seeing the little cyclones form is great fun. With that said I'd much rather be fermenting in a conical or sanke keg where I could transfer everything under pressure.

Back