Wasting 1/2 my kegged beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobbyb619

Reaction score
HELP! I have been having problems with my beer being way to foamy, so I am losing about 1/2 the keg to waste. I have tried adjusting temps, line lengths, etc. what is happening is the are tones on air bubbles in my beer line. I have pin lock kegs, and the only thing I can think is the pop it is working. If I charge the keg empty and disconnect all lines the keg will hold co2 for weeks and when my system is hooked up I don't burn through co2 bottles. I don't know what it is. I usually pressurize my kegs with 30 psi for 24 hrs then dial it down to 10 psi with 10 ft lone hoses and keep kegerator about 38/40 degrees.

Your methods seem solid, and I've used the same techniques without issue in the past. Have you checked the o-ring and poppet on the out tube? I've had foamy pours from bad seals or gunk getting stuck in those areas. Also, the quick disconnect is and tap are other potential sources.

Basically, if your getting foamy pours there's a large pressure differential somewhere. Is the beer pouring at a high rate or is it normal speed, but foamy?

If bubbles are forming in the lines, there are only two possible causes. One is a bad seal at the liquid side diptube o-ring, as already mentioned. The other is that your serving pressure is lower than whatever corresponds to the carbonation level and temperature of the beer. Based on what you've posted, my guess is a bad seal at the diptube. If it doesn't seal fully there, CO2 will travel from the headspace into the post, where it mixes with the beer as it passes through. Pull off the post, pull the diptube out, and have a look. Make sure the o-ring is in good condition, and that there aren't any scratches or nicks in the metal where the o-ring mates with the diptube or where it mates with the keg.

did you temp the beer? it is either over carbed or high in temp and foaming.

that is if your lines are to length.

could be your regulator is faulty...

Point of mention: Be sure and degas the keg before attempting to check the dip tube. Don't ask how I know this:cross:

I would say that the pour rate is normal, just a lot of foam! I will investigate some more. Thanks

I am using 3/16 lines. Thanks for all the input! Great advice, I will try it all!

Try 1 keg doing the set and forget method. I know waiting a week or so for it to carb is hard, but that is the best way to make sure it is not just a pressure imbalance. If it still pours foamy and gets gas in the lines I would lean towards the leaky post O-ring.

Also, is this a tower, coffin, or shank through the wall/collar application? Are your taps cold without beer flowing through them? Temperature striation in your kegerator? Temp issues would mainly affect first pours and subsequent ones would not be very foamy.

Back