Wasted $??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DRBonham

Reaction score
I moved about 2 years ago and was just pulling my gear out to get started again- finally. I found, under my carefully packed glass equipment a box containing 2 1/2 pounds of Citra pellets in unopened, sealed foil packages. The kind that is sent from some of the larger online vendors. Crap. This has been on a shelf in a garage in Southern Indiana that is not temp controlled. There was a smaller 1 oz Amarillo with these that I opened and the pellets were still very aromatic, soft, and had fresh color. Any thoughts? Besides send them your way. Thanks in advance!

Rats!

As long as they smell like hops and not parmesan cheese they should still be fine to use. Most commercial packs are nitrogen flushed or vacuum packed, protecting them from air (oxygen) contact, which is detrimental.

Now their bittering potential may have gone down drastically (think 3 years old 'aged' hops used in Lambics), and some flavor and aromatic compounds have been lost or deteriorated, so just use them for late additions, whirlpools, etc. Not sure if you should use them for dry hopping. Maybe try a small batch with them and let them surprise you.

Freezer storage is best, and yes, vacuum seal or nitrogen flush after opening. I flush mine with CO2, then squeeze as much gas out and tape them shut. Then back into the freezer.

Thank you. There was an opened package of Centennial as well. Those pellets were brick hard, almost gray in color and completely without aroma. I told my daughter they were from a rat. Now she won't go near my gear.

The best way to tell is simply to smell and visually inspect them. If they have good aroma and are green then they are likely okay. As previously mentioned, they are likely not good for bittering. Get a high alpha bittering hop and use them for late additions or dry hops.

BeerSmith says you lose about 50% alfa acids; vacuum sealed at 75 F for 30 months.

Use 2X whatever the recipe says.

Back