wasted batch / grain underneath FB

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cobolstinks

Reaction score
I have a jaybird FB 15" in my keggle MT. Today was my first batch trying it out and I had to dump it. Grain got underneath the FB and got into my hoses and pump :(. The pump is fine, but I don't know what happened, because my diptube was still secured in the hole.

Jaybird owners, do you weigh it down? I'm not sure how i got grain under this, has anyone had a similar experience? I'm thinking i might have gotten too much back flush coming back into the dip tube after i shut off my pump, causing the FB to lift and grain to get under neath it, does this sound possible?

Thanks,
CHris

I used an all stainless clamp on the dip tube to hold the false bottom down.

Wait, what?

Pump that **** to the top, drain. Wtf is the problem?

I pulled a full retard move once by adding 6 gallons of storage water to my mash tun really fast, flipped my dome false bottom over and was a pain, all I did was empty it to a bucket and add it back to the mash tun once I fixed it. Nothing to cry over.

Wait, what?

Pump that **** to the top, drain. Wtf is the problem?

I pulled a full retard move once by adding 6 gallons of storage water to my mash tun really fast, flipped my dome false bottom over and was a pain, all I did was empty it to a bucket and add it back to the mash tun once I fixed it. Nothing to cry over.

My diptube going into the false bottom is a peice of silicone connecting copper pipes on both ends. I thought i had bumped the dip tube out of the hole, and if that had been the case there is no way im sticking my hand in 152 F water in an attempt to re-place the dip tube. Because that is what i thought had happened, i opted to dump the batch.

I'm going to change my dip tube to a solid pipe ( i tried to do that in the first place but my welder didn't weld the coupling on striaght so i couldn't get a solid tube to work. I'm going to solder a custom copper pipe for my dip tube. Its probably going to have 4 90 degree bends it it, but that will allow me to use a hose clamp to secure it and I think i should be good than. Thanks for the suggestions.

Couple of things to look at..First get a solid diptube. if the coupliing is welded on wrong, you can straighten it out with a longer 5-6" nipple screwed into the coupling and whack it with a hammer to get it straight..I do it all the time. sometimes the coupling is on the curve of the bottom of the kettle and a little adjustment with a hammer and your good. Next..Never dump a batch bro! stick it somewhere, fix the problem and put it back in the tun...Ohh well there live and learn. Shoot me your 411 via PM and let me get you a dip tube that will work so you can enjoy your FB and your brewdays..
Cheers
Jay

Yeah, no dumpage. Keep it going. In fact, my most recent batch 2 weeks a go I had major problems. I have a plastic tube which connects my false bottom (not a jaybird fwiw) to the to the 'out' vlave, as is standard. I usually am pretty careful with it, and I feel for it while I stir. But there was no resistance where it should have been, I could press down to the FB. It was disconnected.

Luckily, I was brewing a session strength bitter, i.e. not a lot of grains. My circular tun is a gatorade 7 gallon cooler, so it was wide and I had a lot of space in it to play around with (which btw I think caused a lot of heat loss issues). I tilted it against my chest so the grain would level out at an angle and expose the FB and disco'd tube. Of course, as you alluded to, I found out that 154F hurts.

Well, in between 2 seconds bursts of activity before the pain would set in, and I was elbows into the tun, I managed to re-attach the tube to the ball valve. But in doing so, the FB moved quite a bit and I got loads and loads of grain underneath. I tried to be careful, but there was no getting aorund it. I was going to have to do a lot of vorlaufing.

By the time i was done reattaching it, the temps were down to around 138. I didn't bother with any temp adjust at that point, I vorlaufed as good as it would get, and proceeded as normal. Had a sample today. Some definite highlights in flavor and aroma. It is cloudy despite a full whirlfloc tablet, and it is thinner than hoped for. But for the trouble I had, It is pretty good. In fact I made notes to rebrew the same recipe, just not jack up the mash next time.

Thanks for the comments everyone. I just have to say Jaybird's got great customer service and a great product, I just have to use it correctly. The fact that I got a PM the next business day after posting on HBT speaks volumes to your responsiveness. Not a paid endorsement, just like hearing back and the enthusiasm to resolve the issue.

I'm afraid to start pounding on the coupling, so I think I'm going to sweat my own copper dip tube and try to hold the FB down via a clamp and see if that works. I plan on brewing on memorial day, ill post back with my findings. Thanks again all.

Back