Washing equipment with chlorinated city water

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jplowe

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I just purchased a better bottle for some Edwort's apfelwein and after i washed it with PBW, I could smell chlorine. I recently moved here and now realize that while running the tap water I can smell chlorine misting up almost as strongly as a chlorinated swimming pool. After I used Star San to sanitize, the strong chlorine smell went away but I'm still concerned.

Does PBW and Star San reduce the residual of chlorine in fermentation buckets/carboys?

I use RO water with starsan to sanitize my carboys and kegs. when i wash my kettle and other things i just rinse with tap water. Its easy for me since i have a RO filter for the house drinking water.

Id be concerned if it smells that strong.

I wouldn't worry about it I use tap water to rise all my equipment. By the time you pitch yeast any chlorine remaining will be seriously diluted by the juice & starsan (assuming you mix your starsan with distilled water)

Back