Washed Yeast Starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arog3000

Reaction score
Do I have to make a starter when using washed yeast. Please see picture. I am only making 3 gallons of beer and this seems like it should be plenty. Thanks!! :mug:

005.jpg

I've seen on other posts about this that a starter is still a good idea to "wake up" the yeast that's been sitting around in storage, usually cold in a fridge. It gets them up and ready to get straight to primary fermentation without a long lag time once pitched. I do 2.5 gallon batches and never had any problems without a starter and using just a single vial of liquid yeast, but the lag time was much, much longer before I began using starters.

I've seen on other posts about this that a starter is still a good idea to "wake up" the yeast that's been sitting around in storage, usually cold in a fridge. It gets them up and ready to get straight to primary fermentation without a long lag time once pitched. I do 2.5 gallon batches and never had any problems without a starter and using just a single vial of liquid yeast, but the lag time was much, much longer before I began using starters.

Thanks. I usually always make a starter but just forgot to this time. This yeast has only been sitting in the fridge for a week and I took it out three days ago so I think I am just going to try it.

Out of curiosity, what kind of yeast is it, and what kind of beer are you making with it? These variables make a difference, but almost certainly you'll get to where you need to go regardless. Good luck!

Out of curiosity, what kind of yeast is it, and what kind of beer are you making with it? These variables make a difference, but almost certainly you'll get to where you need to go regardless. Good luck!

It is Wyeast 1099 and I am making a Porter. The OG should be about 1.060 and I am shooting for 3-3.5 gallons. Do you think I should just make the starter and then let the beer sit in my basement in the carboy for a couple days or just go ahead and pitch it today with what I have?

When are you brewing? Even if the starter only has overnight to do its thing, that has to be better than nothing in terms of getting your washed yeast up and going again. I'd say definitely don't let the cooled wort sit around for any amount of time once it reaches pitching temperatures, so if you're already brewing or brewing soon, just pitch whatever you've got once the wort is ready.

When are you brewing? Even if the starter only has overnight to do its thing, that has to be better than nothing in terms of getting your washed yeast up and going again. I'd say definitely don't let the cooled wort sit around for any amount of time once it reaches pitching temperatures, so if you're already brewing or brewing soon, just pitch whatever you've got once the wort is ready.

Yeah, I'm already brewing. I have three more yeast bottles so maybe I will just throw two in there just to be safe.

Back