Was my boil too lazy? (video inside)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pixalated

Reaction score
I am worried that I never got a good enough boil going. Here's a video .

Was this boil too slow? It's about 3 gallons on an electric stove, using a stainless steel pot wrapped in some reflective insulation.

Last edited by a moderator:
Boiling is boiling and always happens around 212 degrees depending on altitude. I think you're okay but there are many more experienced brewers that will chime in shortly I'm sure.

Edit: Also, since you're using extract a hot break it not as important as it is in AG.

I prefer seeing a little more action in the kettle personally, but as Raven said, boiling is boiling, take a temp reading and prove it to yourself if you're worried.

My understanding from listening to brewstrong is that as long as youve got your wort moving around, you're good.

To borrow from brewstrong- In grilling, you can have a well done steak as well as a lightly seared steak. The same is true in brewing with your boil.

If it wasnt boiling id be concerned.It is.your good.Dont know whether this means to boil longer,you can but im shure it doesnt really matter.Happy Brewing.

This is exactly how my brew went on Saturday. I have a glass stovetop and Had it on fully blast for 60 minutes and 4.5 gallons of wort....never hit over 205 degrees...hope it turns out ok

DogFace_Brewing said:
This is exactly how my brew went on Saturday. I have a glass stovetop and Had it on fully blast for 60 minutes and 4.5 gallons of wort....never hit over 205 degrees...hope it turns out ok

I've got the same situation. Ended up buying another pot. That let me vigorously boil two kettles of 3 gallons to end up with a full 5 gallons post boil.

Just curious, where was the thermometer? Mine clips to the side of the kettle and never tops 205-207F, but the wort boils up from the bottom where the pot comes in touch with the coils. I know it's not ideal, but it's worked OK for me so far.

Since I've started brewing (just this year), I've thought about moving to another apartment just to get a better stove. Yeah, I'd say I've got the bug. :mug:

I've got the same situation. Ended up buying another pot. That let me vigorously boil two kettles of 3 gallons to end up with a full 5 gallons post boil.

I jumped the gun and bought a 32 quart pot not remebering that i use a glass top stove :cross: ...mistake but it still works i guess. Should of did what you did and buy 2 pots!!

Thanks to everyone for the response. I am not terribly worried, was just curious. It's a tripel, so I won't be drinking this till May.
What was that song in the background?:off:
Heres' the song that's in the background
It was actually last.fm station based on "Flogging Molly". I probably spent 20 minutes trying to figure out that song for you. Hope you like it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I jumped the gun and bought a 32 quart pot not remebering that i use a glass top stove :cross: ...mistake but it still works i guess. Should of did what you did and buy 2 pots!!

You can insulate your pot. I wrap heavy foil around mine which helps. But I have seen others that have real insulation. Just make sure it is for high temps and not directly on the burner. I'll upgrade one of these days.

Just curious, where was the thermometer? Mine clips to the side of the kettle and never tops 205-207F, but the wort boils up from the bottom where the pot comes in touch with the coils. I know it's not ideal, but it's worked OK for me so far.

Since I've started brewing (just this year), I've thought about moving to another apartment just to get a better stove. Yeah, I'd say I've got the bug. :mug:

Well I dont have a clip for the thermometer I just dipped it in the boil to take a temp reading about every 5-10 min. Gave me a chance to sit on the counter next to the wort, listen to some tunes and drink some home brew :ban:

Picking up a longer thermometer that reaches close to the bottom of the pot for the next brew. I bought one of those digital meat ones and all it every says is "LLL" and not the correct temp. I should return it but forgot where I got it from!

DogFace_Brewing said:

At that point, with a 32 q kettle, you might be better off just grabbing a propane burner and boiling outside if you've got space.

While I have plenty of space on my deck, it's too cold be outside. Maybe when the warmer months roll around, and I try all-grain I'd consider doing full boils.

While I have plenty of space on my deck, it's too cold be outside. Maybe when the warmer months roll around, and I try all-grain I'd consider doing full boils.

You can do all-grain on a stovetop, indoors, too. Do a search for 'Stone-top all-grain' and you can find a good thread by Deathbrewer on the subject.

gregpio85 said:
At that point, with a 32 q kettle, you might be better off just grabbing a propane burner and boiling outside if you've got space.

As soon as its 50 or higher consistanly in chicago...on the deck we go with a burner!

Back