Warning to wing-capper users

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewskii

Reaction score
If you salvage bottles ( I think most of us do) look out for bottles that have short collars on them. If you use a wing capper you should pass these bottles by as the metal jaws the wing capper uses for leverage can not provide enough travel to properly crown them.

I've run into this with many euro bottles as well as Anchor, Bass and others in all sizes.

image-1419173279.jpg

Bottle on the left is a standard 22 oz Bomber and the bottle on the right is a Brit 500 ml. This is just an example but the small collars are more prevalent than you think.

I can use those bottles with my wing capper, you just have to be aware that those bottles are being used, and be sure that the cap is properly seated before applying force.

I have mangled more caps due to those bottles though.

Have you had carbonation problems with these bottles, or have you been unable to cap them at all?

I came across the same problem about a month ago. Fun trivia fact: Goose Island uses BOTH types. I was just holding on to 312 and Honker's Ale bottles because they've always been good for me in the past. I noticed in the process of bottling that about a dozen had short crowns. At subsequent parties I saw that a six pack of Summertime and a twelve pack of Summertime were different. Maybe it's a packaging plant thing...

I have had no issues with leakers but only due to diligence and luck. Bottle crowns on bottles of this type for me have clearly had crimp issues.
A bench capper is high on my list of equipment to invest in.

I have a problem with breaking Anchor bottles. Man, I do love that tear shape bottle though. Last bottling day I broke 2 while capping. I guess the more I drink, the stronger I become?

Nah, maybe I just had to many :drunk:

I have a problem with breaking Anchor bottles. Man, I do love that tear shape bottle though. Last bottling day I broke 2 while capping. I guess the more I drink, the stronger I become?

Nah, maybe I just had to many :drunk:

I seem to break New Belgium bottles more than other brands.

WTF are you doing to them?

I have never broken a bottle while trying to cap it. That includes, I believe, all the bottles mentioned so far in this thread.

Using my wing capper the same way I do every other bottle, including some Miller Lite bottles from the Mid 80s that have been capped at least 30 times this way. I am not saying cracked the top off of New Belgian bottles, just when I cap them every time I have heard a crack and looked in the neck and what do you know a crack going down the side of the bottle.
New Belgian Bottles I swear are like stunt bottles, pick one up, pick up any other bottle and they are at least 1/3 lighter in weight to everything else I have( probably half the weight of the Miller Lite bottles).

WTF are you doing to them?

I have never broken a bottle while trying to cap it. That includes, I believe, all the bottles mentioned so far in this thread.

Its possible your not drinking enough weirdboy. Have you fallen prey to the alcohol rehab ads that sometime appear on this website? :p just kidding btw

I came across this issue today while bottling. Out of all the bottles I brought out 3 of them were like this, never noticed and had one filled and was wondering why it was capping weird. Luckily I brought up enough and didn't have to use those 2

Back