WARNING: Plastic buckets are not safe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What do priorities have to do with anything? If it does end up that there is a potentially harmful compound even in our foodsafe HDPE buckets and I choose to avoid it, that in no way takes away from my ability to avoid other harmful things. What is wrong with wanting to know if there are potential risks involved with something I use frequently, regardless of how small the risk is?

There is this "F it, we're gonna die anyhow" attitude here that I just can't comprehend. It's not even about being lethal. Where does anyone say that (other than perhaps the misguided OP) our brewing plastics could be lethal? Also, as this is a homebrewing forum, I find the topic incredibly relevant. As I said before I'm not buying into it yet, but we as a group would certainly not want to admit that something we use frequently (and love!) could be potentially harmful. I'm under 30 and don't have children yet, and while I doubt there is much to this, but if there is I certainly want to know about it.

I found this magical golden circle thing that grants me unnatural long life, so I'm good.

Don't tell me about my plastic buckets, what would you know about it! Nothing! They are my buckets, my own, my precious plastic buckets. #thinbutter

What do priorities have to do with anything? ...

There is this "F it, we're gonna die anyhow" attitude here that I just can't comprehend. ...
+1. If scientists prove beer & coffee are unhealthy, then yeah my response is "screw it, I'm going to die anyway." But if they find that something so easily avoidable is unhealthy, you're a fool to brush it off. None of us are that stupid.

It boils down to perceived risks and cost/effort to avoid. So just like eating organic veggies -- we don't know the real differences of organic to our health, so if you wanna play it safe and pay the added cost, then fine, if not that's fine too. Because none of us knows the answer.

I also reject this scientific arrogance that "if it hasn't yet been discovered or learned, then it simply cannot be." Modern scientists, for many reasons, don't know sh** about weather or human health. That won't change any time soon.

What do priorities have to do with anything? If it does end up that there is a potentially harmful compound even in our foodsafe HDPE buckets and I choose to avoid it, that in no way takes away from my ability to avoid other harmful things. What is wrong with wanting to know if there are potential risks involved with something I use frequently, regardless of how small the risk is?

There is this "F it, we're gonna die anyhow" attitude here that I just can't comprehend. It's not even about being lethal. Where does anyone say that (other than perhaps the misguided OP) our brewing plastics could be lethal? Also, as this is a homebrewing forum, I find the topic incredibly relevant. As I said before I'm not buying into it yet, but we as a group would certainly not want to admit that something we use frequently (and love!) could be potentially harmful. I'm under 30 and don't have children yet, and while I doubt there is much to this, but if there is I certainly want to know about it.

Setting priorities becomes important in a world of finite resources.

We are all gonna die, no debating the point. We each can choose what we deem worth worrying about while we are living.

When others in control tell me what I need to worry about, or more to the point, what products I can purchase/consume, well, that becomes a bit more vexing.

But if they find that something so easily avoidable is unhealthy, you're a fool to brush it off. None of us are that stupid.

The problem is that plastics in contact with food stuffs is simply unavoidable in modern life. Even if you give up fermenting in a plastic bucket, damn near everything else you are eating is (or has been) in contact with food grade plastics at some point...

The problem is that plastics in contact with food stuffs is simply unavoidable in modern life. Even if you give up fermenting in a plastic bucket, damn near everything else you are eating is (or has been) in contact with food grade plastics at some point...

That gets back to the risk vs benefit argument.

How great does the risk have to become before it outweighs all the other benefits that a product has brought to the quality of peoples lives?

That gets back to the risk vs benefit argument.

How great does the risk have to become before it outweighs all the other benefits that a product has brought to the quality of peoples lives?

When I walk down a sidewalk, there is the risk that a driver may fall asleep at the wheel and run me over. Does that keep me from using sidewalks? Nope. It's safer than walking in the street.

When I walk down a sidewalk, there is the risk that a driver may fall asleep at the wheel and run me over. Does that keep me from using sidewalks? Nope. It's safer than walking in the street.

not getting this analogy...

are plastic buckets the sidewalks or the street?

is the sleeping driver the disruptors or the glass carboy?

Grog. Confused. Now.

Make sure it is BPA free!
Then anyone should be fine.
All My fermenters are food grade white and BPA free.
So far so good.

So what? Too much sun causes skin cancer, so you see the choices are (1) don't worry about it, because sunlight is everywhere, or (2) shut yourself up in a closet for your entire life just to avoid the sun. That's a false choice. The idea is to minimize exposure within reason.

Personally I am much more likely to drop a glass carboy on my foot and have it be cut off than I am to have any problems from possibly drinking some chemicals.

not getting this analogy...

are plastic buckets the sidewalks or the street?

is the sleeping driver the disruptors or the glass carboy?

Grog. Confused. Now.

Sleepy driver is the disruptor and buckets are the sidewalks!! Streets are the glass carboys and sidewalks are plastic! Something like that.

:confused:

I am still not worried. I do not ferment in really cheap buckets. I have been eating food from plastic since I can remember. My man boobs are no bigger than normal for my weight. Besides my Ouija board said I am going to die from Bubonic Plague!

Hysterical.

Seems like Aubie, djt, and Denny are proof of conflicting evidence on the effect of plastic buckets on hooters. Still waiting on "evidence" from BobbiLynn...

Still waiting on "evidence" from BobbiLynn...

Thought about it but don't want to get in trouble over that "NSFW" rule here. I can say though, a friend I hadn't seen in a while saw me recently, ran over, grabbed one in each hand and said "What have you done?!? Were they expensive?!?". She said they felt expensive but I told her "Nope, around $15.00 for the bucket and that came with a plastic spigot too."

BobbiLynn said:
Thought about it but don't want to get in trouble over that "NSFW" rule here. I can say though, a friend I hadn't seen in a while saw me recently, ran over, grabbed one in each hand and said "What have you done?!? Were they expensive?!?". She said they felt expensive but I told her "Nope, around $15.00 for the bucket and that came with a plastic spigot too."

image-373411714.jpg

This thread is just plain stupid!! Trolls are everywhere in here! If you understand research methods (at the graduate level of higher education) you would laugh at the research presented here. I am going to present these studies to my next class for a project to dissect flaws in research methods. This will be a good learning objective.

This thread is just plain stupid!! Trolls are everywhere in here! If you understand research methods (at the graduate level of higher education) you would laugh at the research presented here. I am going to present these studies to my next class for a project to dissect flaws in research methods. This will be a good learning objective.

Please, enlighten us. Oh educated one.

Excuse me, Bill Nye. Did you miss the part where BobbiLynn wrote something like, "She grabbed one in each hand..."

HELLO?!?!?

Beauty > safety. That's why we're men. QFT.

Yeah, she grabbed my buckets and thought it was a much better idea than the glass I had been using. Yes, the beauty of it outweighs a lot.

I don't think analogies always have to be explained, that's why they are analogies, interpret however you'd like.

Back