Warming cold grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Airborneguy

Retired and Brewing
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I realized this morning that the grain for today’s brew had been sitting in my garage below 50F. I moved it into a small bathroom that stays pretty warm with the door closed. After 4 hours, who thinks it warmed up enough to not have to adjust my mash-in temps? I think I’m good but it’s worth hearing from the forum.

I suppose it depends on the volume and the thickness of the mass of grain.
The center may be pretty well insulated.
Can you get an instant read thermometer into the center of the mass?

I suppose it depends on the volume and the thickness of the mass of grain.
The center may be pretty well insulated.
Can you get an instant read thermometer into the center of the mass?
My last batch was warmer than normal and I ended-up mashing at a higher temp with the associated effect on fermentables.

I adjust strike water temp higher if grain and are kettles cold.

There is way to calculate grain and equipment temperature in most brewing programs if you need to. I know there is in the old Beersmith program I used to use, probably also in Brewer's Friend.

Nowdays I just raise strike temp by 3-5 degrees, depending on how cold it is.

I would have advised to just mash it in cold (whatever temp the grain was), turn on the heat and bring it up to your desired mash temp. I am betting that if you had a strike water temp of say 160f, you could have heated it up pretty quick after the temperature drop from the cold grain.

I would have advised to just mash it in cold (whatever temp the grain was), turn on the heat and bring it up to your desired mash temp. I am betting that if you had a strike water temp of say 160f, you could have heated it up pretty quick after the temperature drop from the cold grain.
I use a cooler. I could raise the temp, but it would involve adding more water.

I have been keeping some of my malts in the refrigerator which is roughly 41°F. By the time I get them milled with the other time it takes to get ready for mashing, they are almost always about room temp. The milling process itself generates some heat in the malts.

Last edited:
If 3g strike water weighs about 26# - if your grain bill is 13#, +1 degree strike water would give you +2 degrees mash. (mass water / mass grain). So heating the 50 F degree grain to 150 F mash would need 3 g of 200 F strike water. Your calculations will vary.

If 3g strike water weighs about 26# - if your grain bill is 13#, +1 degree strike water would give you +2 degrees mash. (mass water / mass grain). So heating the 50 F degree grain to 150 F mash would need 3 g of 200 F strike water. Your calculations will vary.
Striking with water that hot is NOT advisable - you could denature your enzymes, and wind up with very few fermentable sugars...

Back