Warm Up Lager after Primary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fatheadrr

Reaction score
I read somewhere that it was ok to warm up a lager before swapping into a secondary fermenter. Basically its been in the primary for 2 weeks at about 53 degrees. Going to swap to secondary and bring it down. But can I take it out and let it come up to temp to make sure the yeast is done or?

I read somewhere that it was ok to warm up a lager before swapping into a secondary fermenter. Basically its been in the primary for 2 weeks at about 53 degrees. Going to swap to secondary and bring it down. But can I take it out and let it come up to temp to make sure the yeast is done or?

You normally raise the temperature of the beer at the tail end of primary, for the diacetyl rest. After the diacetyl rest, it can be racked and then the temperature is lowered for lagering.

It's not to make sure the yeast is "done", as much as to make sure any diacetyl produced by the yeast is cleaned up by active yeast, and raising the temperature ensures that. About 10 degrees warmer than the fermentation temperature is where to aim for the diacetyl rest.

Thanks thats where its sitting now. Can I just throw it back in the fridge after its racked if the fridge is at 50? then lower it a degree or two a day until its down to 34 ish

Thanks thats where its sitting now. Can I just throw it back in the fridge after its racked if the fridge is at 50? then lower it a degree or two a day until its down to 34 ish

You can, but it's not necessary to lower the temperature slowly, as the yeast should be all finished before the lagering anyway.

So your saying I can just drop the beer in the fridge with the fridge set at 34 and leave it for 2 more weeks to lager

So your saying I can just drop the beer in the fridge with the fridge set at 34 and leave it for 2 more weeks to lager

After the diacetyl rest is done, and the beer is racked, I lager at 34 degrees for one week for every 8-10 points of OG.

In other words, once the beer is racked, I put it at 34 degrees and hold it there about 6-8 weeks, depending on the OG of the beer. For a 1.060 beer, it's usually closer to 8 weeks.

Back