warm fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buzbey

Reaction score
I was gone about a week and my room mate turned the heat up. My beer has been at 74 to 76 for about a week, how bad did this mess it up?

How long has it gone before the heat was turned up? If fermentation was done you should not have too much bad going on. If it was at the height of fermentation you might have some problems. How bad will only be found out by riding it out to see.

The one in it's third week should be ok if you've used a forgiving strain of yeast. The one in it's first week might or might not be ok. At the worst, the yeast will have stressed and produced some phelonic (plastic, cough syrup) flavors or some estery components (banana, bubblegum, clove).

Rye pa three weeks white labs California ale yeast and dunkel at 1 week with white labs wlp300 hefe yeast. So if it does stress the yeast out in my one week batch it could end up as a good thing. I do love them banana phenols

You should be fine - you may get some increased esters in the Dunkel (not necessarily a bad thing) but the Rye should be fine.

Back