Ward labs water report, any feedback

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Niatras

Reaction score
1660940047021.png

When I enter into profile do I put the bicarbonate at 44? Or use the total hardness?

How so on the interesting? Curious. Just trying to grasp what I’m looking at.

What you enter probably depends on what tool you're trying to use. Beersmith3, for one, uses Bicarbonate (HC03).

What's interesting to me is most water reports with TDS readings up in your range that I've seen over the years here are dominated by Bicarbonate resulting in an alkalinity issue. Yours, otoh, is comprised more of significant amounts of elements that - aside from the sodium - brewing folks usually have to add - and in amounts that almost look intentional :)

Cheers!

Depending on what water tool you use, just enter either the HCO3 or the CaCO3 number whichever it asks for. Like on Brewfather, this is what it looks like
1660946514748.png

Also, make sure you multiply the Ward Sulfate number by 3 since it's SO4-S. The natural sulfate to chloride ratio is pretty high but since you need some more calcium anyway, you'll just compensate with a little Calcium Chloride if you need to balance it out.

You'll need to add acid to the strike water for very pale beers, but other than that you're looking pretty good for most styles.

Thanks for the input guys. That’s great info.

I thought the Calcium was a little low. But what do I know just getting into this water treatment.

I was not aware that I needed to triple the sulfate number. I made a WCIPA from distilled water a couple of months ago. That beer was absolutely the best beer I made. I thought I added salts to get to the light and hoppy profile on brewers friend. I lost my records on that. This time I made it from my tap after getting my report from Ward. First thought, while it’s not ready, that it is dryer and a little medicinal.

I believe the light and hoppy profile has a 3/1 S to C ratio. Tripling the sulfate will bring that up to 4/1.

I once had a guy tell me making beer is like making Cool Aide. This is way more difficult than that I’d you want to make good beer.

I'm having a hard time understanding how in the hell your water pH is 9.5, that's extremely high, as is the total dissolved solids, while all your other minerals are so low. This isn't adding up. They screwed up your analysis somewhere. I would contact them to inquire.

I also go the water report online from the city. Last year’s report. They are comparable.

1661003067309.png

Back