Water

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I’m new to the all grain world and just received my first Ward Labs Report. I’ve downloaded the Bru’n water, but I’m still unclear on what modifications are necessary. In addition, after the report I’ve installed an under counter filter, which l assume will also impact some of my readings. Any discussion is much appreciated!

Welcome to the forums at Homebrew Talk, @AndyThePainter :mug:

You could post your Ward Labs report here and we can see what's up with it.
Also, you might clarify what your "under counter filter" consists of - is it a Reverse Osmosis system, or just a series of media filters?

Cheers!

Welcome to the forums at Homebrew Talk, @AndyThePainter :mug:

You could post your Ward Labs report here and we can see what's up with it.
Also, you might clarify what your "under counter filter" consists of - is it a Reverse Osmosis system, or just a series of media filters?

Cheers!
Thank you, l will! And it’s just a simple Filtrete, nothing fancy.

Here’s the Ward Lab numbers:

IMG_9053.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
I am so confused right now :confused:

The high sodium level would often suggest a water softener upstream of the sample point, but then I look at the sulfate and bicarbonate levels and those strongly suggest there's no functional softener involved.

Ironically, if there isn't a functional softener in the system an RO membrane would likely have a very short lifespan there.

Let's see if Russ @Buckeye_Hydro would like to weigh in on this...

Cheers!

That sodium level is pretty high like others have said (that's the main issue). The bicarbonate is also high, but that can be fixed with some acid additions.

You can always get 5g jugs of RO water or Poland Spring (soft spring water) like I do as my local tap water unfortunately isn't suitable for brewing

It works out to be cheaper for me to get $7 refills of water than to purchase an RO setup

What catches my eye is your high sodium and your sky high Alkalinity/Bicarb. Also - your TDS is much higher than is typical for municipal water. Your water is likely to have an off flavor/smell. As mentioned above... I think there's an RO system in your future.

Last edited:
What catches my eye is your high sodium and your sky high Alkalinity/Bicarb. Also - your TDS is much higher than is typical for municipal water. Your water is likely to have an off flavor/smell. As mentioned above... I think there's an RO system in your future.
The water looks, smells, and tastes perfectly fine. I actually brewed a very good Pilsner without making any changes to the water. This time I’m going for an Irish Stout and got the test to see what l could do to make it even better. I was shocked by the results!

The water looks, smells, and tastes perfectly fine. I actually brewed a very good Pilsner without making any changes to the water. This time I’m going for an Irish Stout and got the test to see what l could do to make it even better. I was shocked by the results!
The high alkalinity and sodium would actually work reasonably well for a malty stout with roasted grains

Not sure about a dry Irish stout, but a maltier one may actually taste nice with those higher sodium levels, and the alkalinity would neutralize the acidity from the roasted grains.

I add baking soda to the RO water for all my stouts which is basically just adding alkalinity and sodium. However the sodium levels never get above 80ppm in my process

If the tap water doesn't taste "salty" would probably be fine. 200ppm is right around the taste threshold for sodium. Higher levels of sodium are known to enhance maltyness until the point where it starts to taste salty

The high sodium level would often suggest a water softener upstream of the sample point, but then I look at the sulfate and bicarbonate levels and those strongly suggest there's no functional softener involved.
I'm curious why you believe there is no softener involved? I can't decipher anything from the water report that implies it would NOT be a softened water.

With that said, there is still a chance that this is a natural water. I've seen similar water reports from areas in Mississippi. There are aquifers that are dominated by sodium bicarbonate.

The other way that this might be a raw tap water is if the water provider partially softens the water at the water treatment plant. That is what my water provider does and my sodium content is typically just under 250 ppm. (Yes, I do RO treat my brewing water!)

I'm curious why you believe there is no softener involved? I can't decipher anything from the water report that implies it would NOT be a softened water.

With that said, there is still a chance that this is a natural water. I've seen similar water reports from areas in Mississippi. There are aquifers that are dominated by sodium bicarbonate.

The other way that this might be a raw tap water is if the water provider partially softens the water at the water treatment plant. That is what my water provider does and my sodium content is typically just under 250 ppm. (Yes, I do RO treat my brewing water!)
I own the home and don’t have a softener, and it’s city water. So as you stated, unless they’re softening at the treatment plant, there’s no softener. As l indicated before, the village doesn’t have a reservoir, the water is obtained from an underground source. I’ve read that’s a possible explanation for the high sodium?

High sodium could suggest a water softener (or water with naturally high sodium). But high (or low) sulfate and bicarbonate levels don't really suggest anything, because water softeners don't remove anions (like sulfates and bicarbonate).

Then I learned something new today. I don't have first hand experience with one but had always assumed a water softener would reduce sulfate at least and hopefully bicarbonates as well...

Cheers!

Back