Wanted: utopias clone recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How does Sam Adams do it, is it just a crazy amount of grain? I’m considering freezing the wort after fermentation (Ice beer style) to get the ABV up.

use the above recipe. they are 4 times better than the original. I loved the original one, even though they changed the recipe this year while we were comparing the 1st and orig.

I will warn you ahaead of time that you will end up sifting through rediculous amounts of **** talking between PTN and Cape Brewing, but the info is good and I liked their version (attempt #1) better than the Sam Adams original. The second batch is still fermenting, but I am certain that it will be outstanding.

It's a great beer. Seriously. Version 1 that they made last year IS better than the original but could use some very minor adjustments and I think Yeager and Paul made changes that will make those adjustments. I would be willing to bet that the version they just brewed will be even better.

The one thing I will disagree with them on though is that this is some incredibly hard beer to brew. It is CERTAINLY not easy and anyone who is going to brew needs to have a pretty damn strong handle on their process, on what brewing a huge beer within their process would mean and then how to recognize how things are progressing through fermentation and nudge it slightly in different directions if it needs it.

So again, it is certainly NOT an easy beer to brew but I don't think you have to be Sam Calagione either.

blah blah blah... shouldn't you be out peddling or something?

I took care of that earlier :D

I find you guys to be funny, but I just wanted to give the poor guy a heads up. You have to admit that only about 30% of that thread is really about the recipe and/or the logistics of the get together and the rest to be monkeys throwing feces at each other. Nor will I say that I didn't sling some poo myself, but the ring leaders must be mentioned prominently.

Back