Want to make first batch from scratch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ckotts

Reaction score
So I have made a few batches using Brewers Best kits, but I want to make a batch that doesn't involve a kit and has more beer (like 10gal or so to start). I just don't quiet know where to start. I know I can't do a grain set up yet so it will have to be an extract like the kits I guess. Any help or a point in the right direction would be great.

Thanks and CHEERS!!

Check out the recipe generator at BeerTools.com. You will have to create an account, but it is free, and they do not spam your inbox all that much. You pretty much just enter what you want, and gets you to your goal by suggesting style guidelines, and appropriate ingredients.

I still use their recipe calculator for each of my brews. I am a fan of theirs!

I was ganna do that but i just my last can of scratch the other day.

I use an app on my android phone called brewzor pro i like it and its free.

So I have made a few batches using Brewers Best kits, but I want to make a batch that doesn't involve a kit and has more beer (like 10gal or so to start). I just don't quiet know where to start. I know I can't do a grain set up yet so it will have to be an extract like the kits I guess. Any help or a point in the right direction would be great.

Thanks and CHEERS!!

One of the ways I started doing recipes was to take a look at a lot of different recipes online for a given style. For instance, I wanted to do a Pale Ale, so I started looking around and I found a bunch of different ideas and read people's descriptions about the flavors of various ingredients. I ended up settling on a recipe that was really up my alley - a pale ale that is full bodied but still with a solid hop aroma and bite. It's sort of a mash up of a lot of different recipes that I saw. I would start fiddling around with one of the many free calculators out there (I use hopville.com) and come back here with any questions or with a recipe you think would work.

Just a couple of quick things you should consider:
  • Don't go crazy on specialty grains - they need to be in the proper proportion to your batch (around 25% for the whole batch, not much more than 10% for any individual one)
  • Don't try to do too much with any given beer - pick a couple of flavor notes that you want and go for those, it's easy to end up with a recipe that is so "busy" that you can't taste any of the individual flavor notes
  • Don't just consider IBUs, also consider the bitterness ratio in determining the right level of bitterness
  • Remember the three reasons you add hops: bitterness, flavor, aroma - choose neutral flavor, high alpha acid hops for the beginning so you can use less and get a good bitterness out of them, save the aromatic/flavorful hops for the second half of the boil

One of the ways I started doing recipes was to take a look at a lot of different recipes online for a given style. For instance, I wanted to do a Pale Ale, so I started looking around and I found a bunch of different ideas and read people's descriptions about the flavors of various ingredients.

Every single brew I have ever done has been my own recipe. I have never done a kit brew. This is exactly how I started. It's really easy to browse through any given site's recipe archives, and see what particular grains, extracts, hops, etc, are common for any given style, and what kind of percentages they use, and create a similar custom malt and hop bill based on what you like (or what's available). I know if I try something new, I'll see what worked and what didn't work so well and then tweak it the next time around. Hasn't let me down yet.

how so? give it be I only checked 2 points, but I calculated basically the same values as their calculator

Tastybrew does not account for hops utlilzation impacted by a partial boil (i.e., lost IBU's due to topping off)

Tastybrew does not account for hops utlilzation impacted by a partial boil (i.e., lost IBU's due to topping off)

oh i didnt check the recipe calculator, ya thats off. the actual bitterness calculator seems to work properly tho

could check the recipe section here. i've brewed three so far from there and they were all really good.

i have only brewed two batches, the second one was all grain, i came up with the recipe. i have several recipes that i have created, formulated, whatever you want to call it. one of the things that i believe is reading about what does what. i bought some books, how to brew (john palmer), dave miller's homebrewing guide, and the home brewer's answer book ( ashton lewis). these books are great for telling you how to formulate recipes. then i downloaded brewtarget and brewmate, both free. i decide what i want to brew, calculate it, then run it through the software. it is awesome learning how all this stuff works. i would have learned chemistry and algebra so much better if we were discussing beer recipes. there are calculations for everything in this hobby, understanding them will make you a better brewer. i am not saying that i am a good brewer, but my two beers have been awesome, i'm brewing an amber ale tomorrow, and i know it will be just as good as the first two. you have to trust what you have learned. i have read each of those books, i don't know how many times, plus all of the great info on this website. knowledge is priceless. plus it makes for good conversation.

could check the recipe section here. i've brewed three so far from there and they were all really good.

I agree! I use recipes from our database all the time. You know they're good, because only repeatedly proven recipes are allowed to be posted. Plus, your questions about the recipes can be answered directly. Pick a style, and we've got the recipe! https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f82/

yes. the feed back is nice. you can say "i wanna do this recipe, but i wanna add this or change this" and sometimes people have tried it, or something similar, and can give you advice on what would work.

Back