Want to make a batch of cider...where to start

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oifvet0708

Reaction score
I want to make a batch of cider, without purchasing a kit. I've brewed several batches of beer with excellent results. So far this is what I was given for info on a recipe
5 gallons fresh cider ( pasturized?)
4 pounds brown sugar
Cider Yeast
after that I know nothing,
something about tablets to stop the fermentation at some point? advise? I live near many apple Orchards, so getting the fresh apple cider is easy, just not sure if it's pastureized or not. Help would like to do soon.

I'm just subscribing to this to understand a little bit more about making a cider.

I've brewed a couple of batches so far myself and this is the recipe that I use, first you need cider that is pasteurized but not preserved the key is NOT preserved, once you get it in your carboy if your making 5 gallons you need to crush 5 campden tablets (or 1 per gallon) let it sit for about 12 hrs then add 1 1/4 Tsp peptic enzyme if your using fresh pressed cider it also helps if making the cider clear later on wait 12 hrs then pitch 1 pack of cider yeast I use Lavlin EC1118, cap it with an air lock and wait about a week or until it air lock stops bubbling, rack it to a secondary carboy and let it sit for about 1 week or until it pretty clear, if it’s not clearing you can use Isinglass I find it works really well. I rack it a 3rd time to get it off the lees and now you can either bottle condition it or you can preserve it and then back sweeten it and force carb it with a keg system. I hope this helps.

We have made a couple ciders so far (also started as beer brewers), and my first time I used this recipe:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f81/apple-blackberry-cider-449656/

We just let this ferment out all the way and then bottled with enough sugar to carbonate but not to sweeten, it was super dry but really delicious so if you like it dry this recipe works well that way...

If you like it sweet, I know there's a way to bottle after you've sweetened using a pasteurization method as well as the tablets, but the thought of bottle bombs on my stovetop scares me enough not to want to attempt it, and the person at the LHBS told us that the tablets that stop the fermenting ALSO make it so that you can't carbonate with sugar (since it's the same process) so you would need to keg it if you want it carbonated after using those (like the poster before me said).

I've only used pasteurized cider/juice so far since I buy it at Trader Joe's, but I'm sure you could just boil it for 15 mins and cool it before pitching if you get the fresh unpasteurized stuff.

I use organic unpasteurized cider. I don't heat to avoid setting pectins. I also don't use camp den tablets, but I did use a 1/2 teaspoon of sulfites to kill wild yeast, let sit 24 hours, then pitched half packet (6.5 grams) of English ale yeast. SG was 1.042, after a nice slow fermentation to save apple flavor I was down to 1.002 after a week, waiting another day or two to see if I can get .995. Then rack to clear the lees, then force carb at 34 degrees to 2.5 volumes. Serve dry as heck and chilly. Boom goes the dynamite!

I want to make a batch of cider, without purchasing a kit. I've brewed several batches of beer with excellent results. So far this is what I was given for info on a recipe
5 gallons fresh cider ( pasturized?)
4 pounds brown sugar
Cider Yeast
after that I know nothing,
something about tablets to stop the fermentation at some point? advise? I live near many apple Orchards, so getting the fresh apple cider is easy, just not sure if it's pastureized or not. Help would like to do soon.

You need a hydrometer. They're cheap and give you a lot of information about what's going on.

You don't need to add sugar if the initial specific gravity of the juice is above 1.045. Most orchard ciders are well above that.

There are multiple threads on this forum about beginning with cider. Read them.

I've brewed a couple of batches so far myself and this is the recipe that I use, first you need cider that is pasteurized but not preserved the key is NOT preserved, once you get it in your carboy if your making 5 gallons you need to crush 5 campden tablets (or 1 per gallon)

Campden tablets are used to kill bacteria and wild yeasts. If the cider is pasteurized, you don't need to do that.

Back