Want to brew 5 to 15 gal batches on the same setup

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

freedombrew

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So it's time to go from extract to all grain, but there are so many choices...

What I really want to do is get a setup that's flexible enough to brew 15 gallon batches when I'm brewing with friends, or 5 when I want to try something new. I've gone from looking at coolers to nice shiny stands and pumps. I like to brew in the back yard, so I have to be somewhat portable. What I DON'T want to do is buy some gear and be back a year later saying, "That was nice, but what I really want to do is..."

Any advice from those who have been there and done that?

I'm fighting that right now. I just went nuts and bought a tricked out setup from BadAss Brewstands, all new kettles, a RIMs setup, BCS automation, etc. I didn't want to have to do the same thing your talking about. I have a thread on here with the build progress somewhere as they update me. I'm on my iPhone right now so it's not too easy to find.

I'm fighting that right now. I just went nuts and bought a tricked out setup from BadAss Brewstands, all new kettles, a RIMs setup, BCS automation, etc. I didn't want to have to do the same thing your talking about. I have a thread on here with the build progress somewhere as they update me. I'm on my iPhone right now so it's not too easy to find.

Nuts???
You're going to be grinning ear to ear... :ban:

So it's time to go from extract to all grain, but there are so many choices...

What I really want to do is get a setup that's flexible enough to brew 15 gallon batches when I'm brewing with friends, or 5 when I want to try something new. I've gone from looking at coolers to nice shiny stands and pumps. I like to brew in the back yard, so I have to be somewhat portable. What I DON'T want to do is buy some gear and be back a year later saying, "That was nice, but what I really want to do is..."

Any advice from those who have been there and done that?

i have solved that problem for myself with two boil kettles; a 10 gallon boilermaker for 5 gallon batches and a 15.5 gallon keggle for 10 gallon batches. another 15.5 keggle serves as my HLT. my stand is a two burner top tier with a shelf for my 10 gallon cooler. works great.

i have solved that problem for myself with two boil kettles; a 10 gallon boilermaker for 5 gallon batches and a 15.5 gallon keggle for 10 gallon batches. another 15.5 keggle serves as my HLT. my stand is a two burner top tier with a shelf for my 10 gallon cooler. works great.

Yeah, that doesn't solve the OP's actual range: he wants to do 15 gallon batches, which when you include boil-off would have your system swamped in wort ;)

Cheers!

Good point Trip,
5 to 15 is a wide range. One solution is to build a unit that can handle both small and large kettles. The other option is to design kettles that can measure at different volumes. In other words, thermometers and/or temperature sensors at different levels.

Freedom:
Pardon the pun, but it boils down to budget.
Determine how much you want/can afford to spend first and then do the most you can with it.
When it comes to brew stands, if your budget is tight, think ahead and make sure you build/get a stand that can grow with you and can be upgraded. There are so many different methods and ideas about how to brew. Take your time, read, read and read some more.
If you can afford to have your stand built, find a builder who will listen to want YOU want and will work with you.
Okay, I'll step down from my soapbox now and return to my beer...

Two boil kettles should be easy since I need to get a 20 gal for big batches and I'll still have the turkey fryer I'm using now. Guess I'm thinking about the mash tun being oversized/undersized.

(And those sculptures do look nice!)

Take into consideration temperature control for a 15 gallon batch. What will you need/cost for that piece of your operation.

Take into consideration temperature control for a 15 gallon batch. What will you need/cost for that piece of your operation.

That's easy, put it into 3 carboys. Then it's no different and a whole lot easier to handle.

Really to do the range in batches you want you will need 2 kettles (15 and a 25 gallon) , 1 HLT of 15 gallons and an MLT of at least 20 gallons. My 20 gallon tun will float the lid with 40 pounds of grain and a 1.2qt/pound mash in.
I can tell you that I don't get as good of extraction with a 5 gallon batch as I do with a 10 gallon batch.
So 2 MLT's would be best but you can do it with the one.

Latest posts

Back