Want some good earthy aroma for my Farmhouse

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WheeledGoat

DisMember
Reaction score
So here's what I'm planning this weekend:

PM:
1# Wheat
1# German 2-row
1/2# Biscuit

7lb Briess Pilsen Light DME
1/4cup MaltoDextrin
Wyeast 3726 Farmhouse

1oz Fuggle Leaf (60min)
3/4oz Glacier Leaf (15min)
1/4oz Glacier Leaf (2min)

My biggest question is the hop schedule - I'm shooting for a nice, smooth, dry finishing, not hoppy, but with earthy/spicy aromatics & taste.... Definitely don't want a Sierra Nevada-type "hops in your face" aroma/taste.

Am I on the right track with most of the Glacier at 15min and the minimal amt at the 2min mark? Or would that not really do much? I've read that 0-2min is when you add for aromatics, and 15min is when you add for taste... but I'm not sure of the exact times or amounts I should use to steer clear of getting too much bitterness, but still getting the earthy/spicy qualities.

That schedule looks fine. Fuggle is a low-AA hop, so this won't be too bitter. Glacier and Fuggle are similar in both flavor & aroma.

Lookin good. ;) My gut instinct is that you should be close to having a balanced beer with that bill and schedule.

suh-wheet... i very much appreciate your feedback!

if you wouldn't mind indulging me, could you elaborate on your gut instinct a little bit? what makes it a balanced beer? what would make it unbalanced?

Back