Walnut advice needed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beernik

Reaction score
My parents have a walnut tree. Last christmas they gave me about 5lbs of walnuts and they have been sitting, vacuum sealed in my freezer ever since. I don't know what the hell to do with them.

And I know that this year's crop is now sitting in his garage drying out and I'll be receiving another 5lbs this christmas.

I'm trying to stay away from desserts. I don't want to put the 40lbs I've lost this year back on.

But what do I do with walnuts? I mean other than bread. And its not like I make bread that often.

Crack and eat em. I love walnuts.

I also put walnuts in a lot of main courses and salads. Sauted green beans with onions, bacon, and walnuts.

Google says: http://www.walnutrecipes.net/

+1 for toasted walnuts in salads/veggie dishes. Also, walnuts are great in regular pesto (in place of pine nuts) and can be ground into a paste to add complexity to hearty sauces.

The replacement for pine nuts is a good idea. I think I might be mildly allergic to them. Or at least I don't digest them very well.

I'll have to look up some pesto recipes.

Make an extract by chopping up the walnuts and put them in some everclear for a week or two. Add the extract to the next porter or brown ale that you brew.

I second the suggestion of making an extract. I toasted some walnuts then soaked them in half brandy and half vodka for about a month, then strained and sweetened with a brown sugar simple syrup. It's an amazing after dinner sipper. I've also got a few batches of nocino going. Look it up, it's supposed to be awesome. It won't help you for the walnuts you already have, but next june, go pick a bunch of unripe walnuts, cut them into quarters and soak them in strong vodka for about 6 months, shaking occasionally. Then strain and sweeten with a simple syrup. Then age for as long as you can stand.

Back