Waited Too Long?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

laiced

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I was really ambitious on Sunday and wanted to get in a brew session with an Extract +Specialty recipe. Unfortunately, by the time I got everything else done, a huge cold front came through with vicious winds and I was unable to brew.

The problem is, I already activated my slap-pack of yeast. Have I waited too long to brew now, or will that yeast remain active and/or useable still? How long will it be good in the plastic pouch? Could I create a started with LME and pitch into that to reactivate?

Yup, make a starter out of it -it should be just fine. It's been in the fridge all this time right?

IPA-Hole said:
Yup, make a starter out of it -it should be just fine. It's been in the fridge all this time right?

Well, it has actually been sitting on my kitchen counter, but the temp has been pretty low lately..probably low 60s.

Is it doomed?

the smack pack is really just a quick viability test but isn't even that reliable - its just a little bit of food/nutrients to get the yeast active

the yeast should still be fine for a few days at 60°, if you are going to brew this weekend I'd get your starter going soon if you plan to cold crash and decant it. Otherwise you can put the yeast in the fridge until you are ready for your starter.

the smack pack is really just a quick viability test but isn't even that reliable - its just a little bit of food/nutrients to get the yeast active

the yeast should still be fine for a few days at 60°, if you are going to brew this weekend i'd get your starter going soon if you plan to cold crash and decant it. Otherwise you can put the yeast in the fridge until you are ready for your starter.

+1

Latest posts

Back