VWR Thermometer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

glorifiedbusdriver

Reaction score
I have had 2 or 3 bbq thermometers die on me because they are not designed to be placed in liquid, not to mention sitting in a mash for an hour accidentally getting the wire wet. I bought a VWR thermometer on the recommendation of someone on this board and I absolutely love it. I checked the accuracy and it is dead on what they should be, and the best part is it is actually designed to be placed in liquid. While it is a little expensive, I highly recommend this to anyone who is getting frustrated that their bbq thermometers eventually crap out on them.

http://www.vwrsp.com/catalog/product/index.cgi?catalog_number=46610-024&inE=1&highlight=46610-024

I think that thermometer is hit or miss. I've gone through 2 of them (the second one was my fault, I melted the cord). Lately, I've been using a grill thermometer for my mash, it's been working great.

I had one of those crap out on me, keep your reciept, i didnt keep mine and it cost me 30 bones to recalibrate it.

I have two of them (I melted the cord on one, thought it was kaput, but after I'd ordered the replacement, I realized that the battery door wasn't tight...and that it still worked fine) and the only thing I have to complain about is that the cords, while waterproof, are not very heat resistant. Other than that, they rock.

I have a cheapo no name digital one that I picked up for $15 at Wal-Mart. It got knocked into a bucket of sanitized water last summer, but after some drying out time it still works and is still accurate.

So I got screwed? Darn! I knew it was to good to be true. OK, I will definitely make an effort not to melt the cord.

Back