Vorlauf vs recirculation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Vorlauf specifically is a modest return to the mash tun intended to clarify the wort prior to running off to the boil kettle. It can be done with as simple an apparatus as a small pot held under the mlt drain, filled and poured back atop the mash. Recirculation, while accomplishing the same result, is more prolonged and clearly requires specific plumbing versus any hand-held apparatus.

Whirlpooling is a post-boil technique for hop induction, that adds motion to the game. But it's so very similar to simple hop steeping that I'm honestly not sure whirlpooling provides a significant advantage over just dumping the hops in the kettle and letting them simmer for the same amount of time. Perhaps when all we had to work with was full cones, agitation might have had some benefit, but as we're all pretty much using pellets these days I'm not so sure there's that much of a gain in utilization (fwiw, I do whirlpool because I don't know the answer :))...

Cheers!

Vorlauf specifically is a modest return to the mash tun intended to clarify the wort prior to running off to the boil kettle. It can be done with as simple an apparatus as a small pot held under the mlt drain, filled and poured back atop the mash. Recirculation, while accomplishing the same result, is more prolonged and clearly requires specific plumbing versus any hand-held apparatus.

Whirlpooling is a post-boil technique for hop induction, that adds motion to the game. But it's so very similar to simple hop steeping that I'm honestly not sure whirlpooling provides a significant advantage over just dumping the hops in the kettle and letting them simmer for the same amount of time. Perhaps when all we had to work with was full cones, agitation might have had some benefit, but as we're all pretty much using pellets these days I'm not so sure there's that much of a gain in utilization (fwiw, I do whirlpool because I don't know the answer :))...

Cheers!
Thank you very much for your reply..great info for sure. Cheers! 😀

One other comment regarding recirculating. That's typically for the bulk of the mash duration and would require some sort of heat source to maintain mash temps. Without that, the temps would fall pretty quickly versus just letting the mash rest.

Cheers!
Dude... that was damn near philosophical. 👍

Last edited:
Back