Voodoo Ranger IPA clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dizzy_Dean

Reaction score
I'm looking for a New Belgium Voodoo Ranger IPA clone Recipe. I have all the hops listed on their web site. They are mosaic, amarillo, cascade, simcoe, nugget and chinook. I'm using safale us-05 dry yeast and pale malt extract. Just looking for advice on how much hop to use and when I should add each.
Since my first batch I've been trying different types of beers and have fallen in love with hoppy citrusy IPAs. I've searched the internet hi and low but since this is a fairly new brew I can't find a thing. I'm new to brewing so detailed advice is appreciated. Thanks in advance fellow brewers and cheers!

Not to be a poopoo head (sorry I have young kid), but if this is your first batch maybe you wanna do a Ranger clone instead. I would stay away from anything 8% and above because unless you have a swamp bucket or some fermentation temp control you probably won't be happy with final product. IPA or PA is a good start. But to each his own, I just want a Ranger right now haha:mug:

I'll give the IIPA a try. like i said i have enough for 2 5gal batches. Might experiment a little on the 2nd batch and see if I can come up w a killer combo of my own. Thanks mbobhat for the input and cheers brother.

I wasn't a huge fan of the double, FWIW, trying the single Voodoo Ranger tonight. But then again most doubles don't beat the single for me most times. Will let you know what I think of the singe IPA and if I have any suggestions on a grain bill.:mug:

Ok, so I had three of these last night, albeit on top of two arrogant bastards haha which probably made my mouth numb from the hops, but I can definitely comment on the grain bill. I think the lightness in body is very similar to the original ranger, so I think sugar would be a good addition, probably a lb or so. And based on the website stats for this beer:

ABV 7%; IBU 50; Yeast Ale; Hops Nugget, Cascade, Simcoe, Chinook, Mosaic, Amarillo

Malts Pale, Black

I would definitely add sugar, since the ABV is high and the hops are pretty low bitterness. Maybe just do FWH with the Nugget and then start at 20 minute additions of all the other hops. So for me if I were to do this recipe, I would go with 65% efficiency and therefore my grain bill would be

12.5 lb pale, 2 oz black patent, 1lb sugar (or just bring sugar so gravity is up to 1.063 OG or so)

Hopping!
1/4oz Nugget FWH
Then:
At 20 minutes, 1/4 of each of the other hops
At 5 minutes, 1/2 oz of each of the other hops
At 0 minutes, 1/2 oz of each of the other hops

That would give you an IBU of around 50ish

Dry hop with 1/2oz of whatever you have left of each hops!

I would use S05 dry yeast for this since it should be on the dryer side anyways, or any american ale yeast will do.

Good luck! I'll have to try this one soon as well.

S O L I D! Thanks man, I might have to pick your brain some more soon. This is exactly why I singed up for this forum.

brewed an all extract version of mbobhat's suggested recipe. Here are my observations. 1. Kill the black patent. The resulting beer is much darker than a direct comparison to Voodoo Ranger. I think just the pale malt and sugar will get you there just fine. 2. The beer that I brewed does not have nearly the aroma of the NB commercial beer. Maybe back off on some of the bittering hops and hit the aroma hops harder? I dry hopped it as suggested, but the aroma is definitely lacking. 3. The commercial version has, to my nose and palate, a clear grapefruit aroma and flavor. My beer gets some of that but is mostly just bitter. Again, I think move some of the hops from bittering to aroma. I also think the hop combination is off. I don't really like IPA's, so I don't brew them often. This one was brewed as a gift for a new dad. Therefore I don't know what hop or hop combination might give you that grapefruit aroma and flavor, but that is what this beer seems to be lacking.

If you can see the picture below, mine is on the left and NB is on the right.

Hope that helps others of you who are trying to fine tune this recipe. I don't expect to be brewing this one again soon. Voodoo Ranger clone2.jpg

I know, old thread.

But if it weren't for old threads, I'd know not much a'tall.

As of 2 nights ago, when we just for giggles compared my current brew with Vd Rngr it compared favorably, but the IPA-ness needs ramped up significantly. So, increase everything! Get it up there where you can really smell it. Slap 5 more IBUs in the bitter, and so on.

Also, if chicks are ever gonna drink an IPA, VooDoo is definitely one to try them out on.

And other cliches.

@therishel, I think I'd rink either one of those!

Cheers.

Back