Volume of water to use for rehydrating Nottingham

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sdufford

Reaction score
Hey guys, I've searched the forums for quite awhile and not found what I'm looking for. I know the instructions for Notty dried yeast say to immerse in water 10 times its weight, so by my calculations, an 11 gram packet of yeast equates roughly to only about .4 ounces of water. Does this sound right? What do you guys normally use?

i usually use about a pint. i don't think it matters all that much as long as it doesn't sit for too long.

Maybe I'm mis-remembering but I think the packet I used last week said 4 oz.
11g * 10 = 110g => 110 ml / 29.57353 = 3.7 fl oz

Keep the water below 110F, I think the Danstar packet recommends a max of 95. Chlorinated tap water is supposed to be okay, and hard water is actually a bit better than soft. Suspend, sit 15min, stir, pitch.

Ahh, I'm off by a factor of 10! Forgot the "10 times its weight" in my calculation. ;)

Do you guys take time to attemperate the slurry down to the wort temp? Or just toss it in there?

Hey guys, I've searched the forums for quite awhile and not found what I'm looking for. I know the instructions for Notty dried yeast say to immerse in water 10 times its weight, so by my calculations, an 11 gram packet of yeast equates roughly to only about .4 ounces of water. Does this sound right? What do you guys normally use?

It isn't necessary to re-hydrate modern dry yeasts. You can just add it to the wort with confidence. BTW 110g = 110ml which is a little under four ounces.

I wouldn't overthink this one, but what do I know? I dump it into a 1/2 cup of sterile filtered water (I am paranoid about chlorine) and it foams like a pit bull in heat after about an hour. :D

I rehydrate 50% of the time when I use Notty. I really don't see much of a difference either way. I don't know why I continue to rehydrate except that if I have a bit of patience while waiting for my cold crash I may rehydrate. Anyway on the packet it says 100ml.

Back