Volume of trub and yeast dumps using a conical fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewBeemer

Reaction score
I'm in the process of designing a conical fermenter and have a question for deciding on the total volume of the fermenter needed.

I like Russian Imperial Stouts and dark Porters. I will be making rather large yeast starters besides yeast and trub dumps during the fernentation, a couple times, thinking two or three.
My plan is at the end is to have three 5 gallon corny's filled to the top with 15gallons of net bier no less. How many quarts, ml's or gallons must I add to this fermenter volume besides the gallons net and head space during fermenting.
The other question would I need two or three dumps during fermenting in the conical fermenter? What would the total average trub and yeast dump volume numbers be that I need to add before building my conical fermenter?
I know this is a wide open question but looking for answers before this design begins. Thanks in advance and fire away at questions if more answers or numbers are needed.

I have one of these:
f65_1326_general.jpg

MiniBrew Fermenter - 6.5 - Conical Fermenters - High Gravity
It is 6.5 gal plastic conical fermenter. I know the stainless is the king.

When I started I was also concern about dumping trub and yest during the fermentation. After a few batches I discovered this.

If you let you trub in the brew kettle, there is no need to do turb dumps during fermentation.

If you pitch right amount of healthy yeast, yeast should not have any trouble to be in the beer for the whole time of fermentation.
(Typical Ale fermentation should be 10 days and Lager fermentation should be 14 days +- a few days) .
To find out what the pitching rate should be visit Mr Malty at Mr Malty Pitching Rate Calculator. Very good info.

I usually fill it with 5.5 gal of wort and I get out of it 5 gal of beer for one keg.

So on the volume question you should be somewhere in ballpark of:
Desired amount of beer + 20% for head space + dead space below the racking port.

Hope that helps

Thanks Thirsty Monk; I will have a whirl pool action in the boil keggle with a propeller to help the cooling coil in the boil keggle dropping the wort temp faster before transfering and pitching in the frementer. This should allow for a very minimum amount of trub transfer to the fermenter. I could not open up or locate anything in the "MrMalty" thread you posted so I still have no yeast volume numbers to work with or to add for my project. I will allow for head space plus take a look at Blichmann's at my LHBS stores, one within 5 miles and especially MoreBeer that is app 23 miles away. I will ask questions plus take measurements on the location of Blichmann's racking arm on the cone section only. This on their 14.5 and 27 gallon units. What i'm looking for is the ratio or location of the racking arm vs the total cone length on their 14.5 and 27 gallon fermenters. I will also note their racking arm length and location inside the cone as well the bend angle of the tubing and make my own racking arm assembly. So far my plans are still to have a fermenter with a total volume of 23 to 24 gallons at the brim of the top neck at the cover lid seal. My OP intentions still hold at having the fermenter volume large enough to do a Russian Imperial stout or a Strong Dark Porter and still net me 15 gallons of clean wort without picking up yeast or trub with the racking arm trying to get every last ounce out for 15 net gallons. Three corny's. Again thanks for your reply. CJ.......

The other question would I need two or three dumps during fermenting in the conical fermenter?

What I do is let it ferment out for 10-14 days and dump until I get wort (I don't harvest my yeast). After that I dump once a week until I'm ready to keg. I might try crash cooling next time but my beers have all come out really clear anyways.

What I do is let it ferment out for 10-14 days and dump until I get wort (I don't harvest my yeast). After that I dump once a week until I'm ready to keg. I might try crash cooling next time but my beers have all come out really clear anyways.

Your process is exactly what I had in mind down to the last words in your reply, thanks CharlosCarlies. The only questions I do not have is how big of a yeast starter in volume be it in cc's ounces or quarts I must allow for in space before I can come up with a final fermenter volume plus allowing for the wort and head space. So far I have not located any yeast to wort volume ratios vs the type of bier yet as an example to work with to get a total fermenter volume required.

How many quarts or cc's by volume do you begin with in wort in your fermenter and how large of amount in yeast in quarts or cc's are required for a big bier like a stout? What is left in net volume wort after you're done with your dumps and ready to keg? I plan to use corny's for kegs, 15 gallons as my intended goal. I know yeast starters will vary in volume by a large amount as with the type of bier brewed and the trub amount created. I'm looking for the maximum starter size I shall ever encounter with a Imperial Russian Stout for the maximum volume and still be able to have enough fermenter volume for wort and head space. Once I have this required total fermenter volume required I can plan and design the fermenter.
Thanks for your reply. One answer leads to many more questions. I only have one shot at this with the kegs I have for the brewing system I want to build, I do not want to end up with a undersized system, less than 15 gallons kegged with one brew session. Carl..........

I use mostly dry yeast because it's just easier...but maybe this will help:

Mr Malty Pitching Rate Calculator

This will help me a lot, thanks CharlosCarlies.
A dry yeast sounds like the way to go vs liquid yeast. I have the parts, magnets and fan motors for a stir plate. Another to be assembled item in the future but not at this time. Other more pressing and painful things going on at the moment.
At this present time I have a very limited sitting, standing or laying down time to read thru any of this vast information on line. I'm speaking less than two minutes looking and taking notes due to a painful back injury then it's flat on the floor or bed again. A 24/7 thing while on Percocets, I was not being lazy just trying to get fast and to the point answers off this forum.
This fermenter is one of many "future build items" after I get repaired and mobile again. For now this build thinking is what's keeping me going the past 7months until I get one of a couple scheduled spinal surgeries in the near future. I'll use the printer then read them later in a more comfortable position be it on the floor or bed when needed.
Thanks. Carl........

A dry yeast sounds like the way to go vs liquid yeast.

Yeah I only use liquid if I need something special like some of the Belgian strains. Dry is just so much cheaper/easier since you don't need to make a starter. I've always been a huge fan of keeping things as simple as possible.

Good luck w/ the recovery. Hopefully you'll be up and brewing soon. :)

Yeah I only use liquid if I need something special like some of the Belgian strains. Dry is just so much cheaper/easier since you don't need to make a starter. I've always been a huge fan of keeping things as simple as possible.

Good luck w/ the recovery. Hopefully you'll be up and brewing soon. :)

Thanks for the information abut the price difference plus the ease of using dry starters. This complete OP is on file for my future notes. Thanks. Yup i'm stubborn at fighting pain but now way beyond the limits, something must be done starting the first of the month. I had to change medical plans to get the surgeon of choice that is better than a surgeon at Stanford. It's all in the paperwork now. Thanks for your help. Carl.......

good luck with your back
I had a back operation 12 years ago and it did the trick
I too put up with a lot of pain until i hit the limit
Percocets dont do your insides any good but you have to do something.
Its great you can have a project like this to keep our mind going

Again good luck

I sold my last brewing rig 9 months ago for big money, I wanted to build a new one anyway plus the back had me stopped 24/7 in the house the past 19 months. Tomorrows my SSD hearing before the judge, it took Congressman Pete Starke and U.S. Senator Dianne Feinstein to speed up my hearing date. Starting 4-1-09 I will have changed medical plans out of my district to get my surgeon (better than Stanford) of choice and get this surgery planned and done ASAP. My GP sent me to a jerk spineal surgeon, said nothings wrong and my pain is a mental condition. Disc fragments, crushed vertebra with old fractures, yeah right. Being hooked on Perks with the chills suck besides the pain when they wear off, I want off all meds and back to healthy food and my bier. Thanks for the reply, when you cry in bed with pain for 19 months I have hit my limit plus forced into early retirement. Yeasterday my GP doctor was pissed as I dumped his spine doctor and did my own research. My neighbor is a spine surgeon operating room assistant, she got me started on this matter with free surgeon exams and X rays twice, MRI's only $500 each her cost.

I must apologize about my OP as this is a bier form not medical, not to offend, sorry. Carl........

Back