VLB Berlin Craft Brewing in Practice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Surfmase

Reaction score
Hi,

Has anyone attended this course? I'm thinking about going this fall and wanted to hear some feedback.

Cheers,

For what it’s worth, I attended the course in 2018. It cost quite a lot, and I was expecting more practical, hands-on experience than what we got. But overall it was a lot of fun in a cool city, and I did learn a lot, and met some cool people.
Cheers

So, what was it like? Did you actually brew anything or closely watch as something was brewed? If you didn’t get hands-on, I’m thinking maybe classroom stuff and then tours?

Thanks for asking. So we spent 3 days in the lab doing various measurements and analysis on water, malt, and wort and looking at yeast and bacteria. We spent 2 days in their brewery which is a miniature sized (250 L) macro brewery. This thing has all the bells and whistles of a major production brewery just scaled down. We didn't brew, but were able to watch closely and we got to calculate hop additions, acid titration of the wort and did gravity measurements. The majority was in the classroom with different instructors lecturing on a wide range of topics. We took tours of 2 local breweries. One had a 10 hl Kaspar Schulz brewhouse, where we mostly watched. A few others and I got our hands "dirty" helping with cleanup and milling grain for the next day. The other was a small pub brewer who specialized in Berliner weisse. it was a charming place, but there wasn't a great deal of educational value. After class I usually went with some of the other guys out to different bars or breweries as well as enjoying the city which is really cool.

Latest posts

Back