Vittles Vault 50-Pound

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ciphin78

Reaction score
Just an FYI...

I ordered a Vittles Vault 50-Pound (which is supposed to hold 13 gal.) from Amazon. Since I have a "Prime" membership it was free shipping and cost $34. I'm planning on fermenting 10 gal batches in it. It seemed like a pretty good deal for a 13 gal fermenter, so I thought I'd share in case anyone else was looking.

That looks like a great idea...I like that they are 'stackable' you could technically have two stacked up with blowoff tubes coming out where the neck angles in by the lid. It doesnt mention in the description what they are made of...I assume foodsafe since they are meant for pet food, but I'm still curious. Also could you update us when you get them on how well constructed they are, lid sealed with gasket, etc.

I got it already. It's made from #2 HDPE (which from what i've read means it's good to go for fermenting). It's well made, seems plenty sturdy and the seal on the lid is made with a gasket that can be removed/cleaned/replaced easy enough. The manufacturer says the seal is air tight and that seems to be the case. I'll be using it this weekend so we'll find out soon enough. I just drilled out a hole in the lid for my bung and airlock. That looks like it will work just fine and creates a nice tight seal.

Yea, I'm not really planning on stacking. This just seemed like a very cost effective way to ferment 10 gallons.

Last edited by a moderator:
With a couple of cinder blocks to raise it over the compressor hump one of the 50 pounders fits in a Sanyo 4912, works great for 10 gallon batches. The screw on lid is a pain to get on/off for cleaning so I dumped it and use a lid from a regular fermenting bucket.

How did this work out for people? I am looking to buy the 50 lb Vittles Vault. Is it worth it? Anyone have any problems with it after using for a while?

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1391131736.060478.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1391131745.828303.jpg

I've been using this one for about a year. Easily 7+ batches without issue. After finding that the original lid setup was NOT air tight. As you see, I replaced it with a regular lid. Heavy to get out of the chamber, but damn nice to use for a full batch....

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Since my first post i've purchased an additional one. I use them for full 10gal batches and i've not had any issues. Unlike Hackwood, i've found the seals to be well suited to allow for proper fermentation. They are easy to move (except for the being heavy, they have nice hand grabs) and clean up well.

Awesome guys. Thanks. Looks like its full steam ahead on these guys. I will also being doing my 10 gal batches in it. Thanks for the replies.

Sent from

So where did you guys get the lids? Certain fermenting buckets are different. My ale pail lids aren't fitting. I was thinking about just bringing the vittle to lowes and just buy one that fits.

Sent from Cheese Doodle Land.

I have a question about the Vittles Vault containers. I recently purchased one to start making larger batches and it has a very strong plasticy off gassing smell that I can not get rid of. The manufacturers website says that it is harmless and that it will dissipate but im concerned about the first few batches and picking up any kind of off flavor or aroma. I have tried washing with PBW, bleach solution, dish soap, and its still there.

Anyone else have this problem and notice anything in their beers?

Thanks

I've been using 2 of these for several years now and I've never had any off flavors or smells. I just washed them out really well with soap and water before the first use (plus star-san right before).

View attachment 176046View attachment 176047

I've been using this one for about a year. Easily 7+ batches without issue. After finding that the original lid setup was NOT air tight. As you see, I replaced it with a regular lid. Heavy to get out of the chamber, but damn nice to use for a full batch....

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Just out of curiosity, can't the lid seals be changed, or was it the actual lid that stopped being air tight?

Yes, there is a gasket on the lid that could be changed. After several years of use, I've not had any issues with air exchange via the lid.

To anyone that just uses a bucket lid on the top of these things. Where did you find a lid that fits? I took my vittle to all of the hardware stores in my area without finding a single one that fits. They are all slightly too big for the container. Is there a certain size that you use that I can order specific? PLEASE!

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1409062595.751427.jpg

Yes they can be stacked.

I took a couple 2x4 pieces, a 90° plastic hose barb fitting and ran a blow off tube to the side for this photo. It's not always easy to lift the top unit into place, especially after a day of brewing.

TD

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Yes, there is a gasket on the lid that could be changed. After several years of use, I've not had any issues with air exchange via the lid.

The lid is a "gamma lid". You can buy a new one from Home Depot is the seal goes bad, or try to measure a replacement from mcmaster for instance.

TD

I have used mine with the gamma lid for 5 batches. After each one, I take the whole lid off including the ring to clean it. It's not much but some crap gets up there and I just don't feel like dealing with it any longer. I also did notice some air seepage. I just wanted to solve both problems with a dollar lid replacement.

So you took the collar off and after doing that, had air leak issues? I'm sure not much would drift into the cube, but after primary, might be good to move the beer. I've never taken the collar off, and it is a real issue to clean the trub out after primary.

I'm considering using them for sour fermentations now that I've finished my triple conical cooled setup for clean beer. For all the pain these cubes are, it's not much worse than dealing with two buckets, splitting yeast and wort, etc for 10 gallon brewers.

The amazon price takes much of the sting out of sacrificing my two for sour purposes.

TD

To anyone that just uses a bucket lid on the top of these things. Where did you find a lid that fits? I took my vittle to all of the hardware stores in my area without finding a single one that fits. They are all slightly too big for the container. Is there a certain size that you use that I can order specific? PLEASE!

You have to take the ring thing off and then put the lid on. I remember it was a pain in the ass, but something with it was what was leaking. Once you get that off any regular lid should fit. Just what I had to do....

You have to take the ring thing off and then put the lid on. I remember it was a pain in the ass, but something with it was what was leaking. Once you get that off any regular lid should fit. Just what I had to do....

Oh I know. EVERY regular bucket lid in my area is too big. I haven't found one that fits. Every lid that I have come across is too big.

Well. that is strange. I just throw whichever lid on that is closest and sanitized that normally goes on my 6 gallon fermemtors.

I'm thoroughly confused now. Could my vittle have a different sized hole? That sounds funny.

How are you guys taking off the tops to clean them? Is there a way to do it without breaking them or ruining the seal?

Latest posts

Back