Virginia

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’ll be in Richmond for one night next week. It’s my birthday, and I’ll be driving down from DC after work (hoping to screw out a little early).

Fiancé and I have plans to hit L’Opossom and the veil after. Any other suggestions? We won’t be in until the later side, so I fear we may miss the Veil. Anywhere else open late that is a must go instead?

Thanks d00ds.

It's pretty damn hard to argue with Mekong/Answer, but you could also hit Triple Crossing(downtown location) since its close to L’Opossom and their hoppy beer is better than Veil. Another downtown option would be to hit Saison...they always have a solid draft list and the cocktails are on point.

On June 10th in Richmond, we'll be throwing the Juicy Brews Summer Craft Beer Invitational at Triple Crossing's Fulton location. There'll be 33 brewers serving unlimited pours, with food, music, and limited merch/glassware. Should be a great day! Hope to see you there! For those curious, here's the list:

1. Aslin Beer Company
  2. Barreled Souls Brewing
  3. Bond Brothers Beer Company
  4. Burley Oak Brewing Company
  5. Brewery Bhavana
  6. Brix City Brewing
  7. Casa Agria Specialty Ales
  8. Casita Cerveceria
  9. Cellador Ales
  10. Charles Towne Fermentory
  11. Commonwealth Brewing
  12. Dancing Gnome Beer
  13. District 96 Beer Factory
  14. Foam Brewers
  15. Hardywood Park Craft Brewing
  16. Hoof Hearted Brewery and Kitchen
  17. HopFly Brewing
  18. Horus Aged Ales
  19. Imprint Beer Co.
  20. Kent Falls Brewing Co.
  21. Magnify Brewing
  22. Mast Landing Brewing Company
  23. New Park Brewing
  24. Ocelot Brewing Company
  25. Outer Range Brewing Co.
  26. Red Dragon Brewery
  27. Resident Culture Brewing Company
  28. Salud Cerveceria
  29. Southern Grist Brewing
  30. Superstition Meadery
  31. The Answer Brewpub
  32. Triple Crossing Beer
  33. Wren House Brewing Company

Richmond peeps, does L’Opossum have bar area seating where walkins are acceptable? Earliest reservations for this place is mid-August.

Hey VA peeps. Work is sending me to the bustling metropolis of Farmville, VA for a spell in July. A quick Google search turns up Third Street Brewing and James River Brewery in the area. Am I in wasteland country out there? Will I rue the fact that I'm barely in Richmond except for flying in/out?

Hey VA peeps. Work is sending me to the bustling metropolis of Farmville, VA for a spell in July. A quick Google search turns up Third Street Brewing and James River Brewery in the area. Am I in wasteland country out there? Will I rue the fact that I'm barely in Richmond except for flying in/out?
Have never had anything from Third Street, but can safely say to stay away from James River Brewing. They make some really terrible beers, and it will probably be even worse for you, since you're more than likely used to great beer in Portland and surrounding areas. Went to school for two years at Longwood in Farmville, and other than that there's a furniture store haha. Haven't been back in years though. And yeah, Richmond has a pretty booming beer scene at the moment, so if you're able to come back even for the evening one day while you're in Farmville it's worth the trip. Farmville is only a little over an hour from RVA anyway.

Have never had anything from Third Street, but can safely say to stay away from James River Brewing. They make some really terrible beers, and it will probably be even worse for you, since you're more than likely used to great beer in Portland and surrounding areas. Went to school for two years at Longwood in Farmville, and other than that there's a furniture store haha. Haven't been back in years though. And yeah, Richmond has a pretty booming beer scene at the moment, so if you're able to come back even for the evening one day while you're in Farmville it's worth the trip. Farmville is only a little over an hour from RVA anyway.
Haha thanks for the heads up on James River. And that's what I figured... I'll see about getting up to RVA if possible.

Haha thanks for the heads up on James River. And that's what I figured... I'll see about getting up to RVA if possible.
If it doesn't work out and you need some cans/crowlers to bring back with you just hit me up. I live right off the highway on the way to the airport (about 15 minutes away) and can likely snag some stuff during the week for you. Just shoot me a message. Cheers!

http://www.dailypress.com/business/dp-tidewaterbiz-newport-news-brewery-20180611-story.html

"Another brewery coming to Newport News..."

giphy.gif

"The beers will include pastry stouts like a salted caramel milk stout, hoppy IPAs, fruited and sour beers..."

giphy.gif

"A recent homebrew used Fruity Pebbles cereal in the boil and Lucky Charms in the fermenter, he said..."

giphy.gif

"Hey, we should just work on the basics. Most of the breweries around Hampton Roads suck or at the very best live in mediocrity, if we can just make good beer we'll be a step ahead".

"**** that, where's the fruity pebbles?!"

Coming down to Sandbridge, VAfor vacation next week with the family.

Any nearby bottle shops anyone reccomends?

A couple years ago all I could find was a total wine that had a decent selection but was wondering if there were any other options.

I plan on hitting up Reaver Beach because I’ve been impressed by the couple BA wild ales I’ve had from them and see that that have gotten into the haze craze.

Any other local breweries reccs are appreciated as well!!

Cheers.

Coming down to Sandbridge, VAfor vacation next week with the family.

Any nearby bottle shops anyone reccomends?

A couple years ago all I could find was a total wine that had a decent selection but was wondering if there were any other options.

I plan on hitting up Reaver Beach because I’ve been impressed by the couple BA wild ales I’ve had from them and see that that have gotten into the haze craze.

Any other local breweries reccs are appreciated as well!!

Cheers.
Can’t speak on Bottleshops as I haven’t been to Sandbridge in a few years. However, there are a couple breweries on your way that are absolutely worth checking out. Commonwealth and Benchtop are both solid options. Esoteric is a fantastic beer bar. I’ve heard Big Ugly is pretty good as well, but haven’t had any of their beers. Unfortunately none of these are particularly close to Sandbridge so Reaver is likely your best bet. If I had to choose one to go to it would be Benchtop though. Enjoy your trip!

Can’t speak on Bottleshops as I haven’t been to Sandbridge in a few years. However, there are a couple breweries on your way that are absolutely worth checking out. Commonwealth and Benchtop are both solid options. Esoteric is a fantastic beer bar. I’ve heard Big Ugly is pretty good as well, but haven’t had any of their beers. Unfortunately none of these are particularly close to Sandbridge so Reaver is likely your best bet. If I had to choose one to go to it would be Benchtop though. Enjoy your trip!
Thanks!!!

Bottlecraft is probably the best place kinda near there . They have a great selection on the shelf , in the cold case and on tap . They allow bottle shares too . They get Benchtop Cans but they don't last long . At Hilltop , across the parking lot from Tapped - a good beer bar and restaurant . Total Wine , Whole Foods/ the Porch bar and Wasserhund Brewing are within a few blocks of there .
I agree with everything Shilt said . If you come down the Eastern Shore you will be about a mile from Commonwealth when you get off the CBBT . You can find a few of their beers around here but should go there if you can . And Reaver is a great option . Some nice sours and I like the Bones series of hoppy beers .
Have to mention Grape and Gourmet , They've been the best shop in the area for a long time . Worth a stop if you are near there .

I forgot about grape and gourmet. I followed them on IG years ago when I was researching the area but never made it there.

Thanks for the info maltytasker

Just heard that New Realm in Va. Beach opened today . Mon - Thursday hours 4-11 . Was looking forward to it . Will get there in a few days . I tried one of the IPA's Friday nite at Lynnhaven Pub and liked it .

Just heard that New Realm in Va. Beach opened today . Mon - Thursday hours 4-11 . Was looking forward to it . Will get there in a few days . I tried one of the IPA's Friday nite at Lynnhaven Pub and liked it .
Drove past the New Realm space Sunday afternoon on the way back from Reaver Beach Brew Co. New Realm’s facility is f’n huge. Was surprised to see such a big space for a brewery I’ve never heard of.

Drove past the New Realm space Sunday afternoon on the way back from Reaver Beach Brew Co. New Realm’s facility is f’n huge. Was surprised to see such a big space for a brewery I’ve never heard of.

It used to be Green Flash, New Realm just slid in there after GF ****ed up.

I noticed it on our drive to sandbridge the other day. Absolutely massive compound!!!

Anyone hitting up the answer for anniversary week? New to the area, how early do I need to get there? Is this like Chicago, show up 3 days ahead of time or will an hour early work

Does anyone know (have a good guess, really) if Aslin will have some 4-packs for sale tomorrow around 4-4:15pm? I have to come back from Dulles tomorrow and I'm never that far out in VA. We're having some people over for dinner who would probably enjoy some, so I thought I may stop in. No chance I'm going out of my way if there's nothing there though.

Does anyone know (have a good guess, really) if Aslin will have some 4-packs for sale tomorrow around 4-4:15pm? I have to come back from Dulles tomorrow and I'm never that far out in VA. We're having some people over for dinner who would probably enjoy some, so I thought I may stop in. No chance I'm going out of my way if there's nothing there though.
I would bet they will have some cans still for sale. I've never gone quite that late in the day, but they seem to be flush with cans most Saturdays.

I would bet they will have some cans still for sale. I've never gone quite that late in the day, but they seem to be flush with cans most Saturdays.

Thanks. Only ever been on Saturday AM, but I’m hoping. Still pick up cans at their Herdon brewery? Their website sucks.

Thanks. Only ever been on Saturday AM, but I’m hoping. Still pick up cans at their Herdon brewery? Their website sucks.
I can never tell which location is active for cans. I went to the Elden st location for the Black Friday stouts last year and then to the original location for the latest Honolulu bottle. Check Instagram, I guess.

I can never tell which location is active for cans. I went to the Elden st location for the Black Friday stouts last year and then to the original location for the latest Honolulu bottle. Check Instagram, I guess.

I went around 4:30pm to their Sunset Park Drive location and they had plenty of cans and no line.

I'm reminded of this every time I show up and you aren't already there.

Olde Smoke's brisket was garbage.

I ordered it, and took it back because it was ice cold. Told them as much, they offered to bring me more brisket that ended up also being cold. I gave up and threw it out as to not risk food borne illness.

Back