Vintners best concentrate dilute

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mariamsanford

Reaction score
My wife like the Vintners best concentrate jugs but has requested less alcohol. Most of them ferment to 10 percent but she'd like 5 percent or so. If I simply use half the the amount I know I'll get half the alcohol.
My question is, will that dilute the taste and body to an unacceptable level?

My wife like the Vintners best concentrate jugs but has requested less alcohol. Most of them ferment to 10 percent but she'd like 5 percent or so. If I simply use half the the amount I know I'll get half the alcohol.
My question is, will that dilute the taste and body to an unacceptable level?

Yes, of course it will dilute the taste and thin the body. Whether it's acceptable or not is subjective. For body, you could try adding glycerol/glycerin to mitigate.

An alternative would be to test the specific gravity frequently then when you get to 5% hit it with potassium sorbate to stop the yeast from multiplying, or maybe potassium metabisulphate to kill it?

Given the risk of bottle exploding if I am wrong, I am asking the experts to weigh in and correct me if needed - I haven't tried this.

Back