Vintage walk in cooler and compressor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pwoodman

Reaction score
Hi,

we have just bought a new-old house from the 1920's. It has an awesome walk in cooler in the basement which we are hoping to keep and convert into something, but unfortunately we really don't need the cooling system that comes with it and it's taking up space we need for a shower.

I really don't know what we're working with and am hoping someone can shed some light on what we should do with it. What's it worth and who would be interested in something like this?

I have attached pictures of the both the cooling set-up and the doors of the walk in cooler - we have 2 doors as there is a cooler within a cooler.

Any information would be much appreciated. We are located in Portland, OR, so it's pretty special that the cooler comes from locally.

Thanks in advance for any insights.
Phil

IMG_6327.JPG

IMG_6331.JPG

IMG_6332.JPG

IMG_6233.JPG

IMG_6232.JPG

IMG_6230.JPG

IMG_6229.JPG

IMG_6228.JPG

You know you are on a homebrewing forum right?...there are more of us trying to figure out how to get a walk-in into our basement than trying to get one out of it!!!

As for ideas (other than keep it, because that is a f*cking awesome kegerator!)...sauna?

You know you are on a homebrewing forum right?...there are more of us trying to figure out how to get a walk-in into our basement than trying to get one out of it!!!

As for ideas (other than keep it, because that is a f*cking awesome kegerator!)...sauna?

I was gonna say sauna. :)

Oh man.. removing that would be a crime. Gorgeous. Sorry, that doesn't help. There is no better use for it.

I was gonna say sauna. :)

Great minds....

Although it kills me they would be yanking apart a cooler like that to make it into a sauna. That thing is sweet.

On the other hand, OP might want to look into what "PermaTOX" treatment is....may not want to heat that wood up to sauna temps if it has been treated with something.

Thanks for all the responses. We won't be being yanking out the walk in cooler part of the system because like you all say, it's amazing! We were also thinking about the possibilities of a sauna.. you'd probably get drunk off the fumes that come off those beer soaken walls..

It's the compressor part we don't need and would like to remove as sadly it's in the way of the only place we can add a second bathroom.

Back