Vintage soda fountain tap restoration

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fissionc

Reaction score
I'm seeking advice on restoring a pair of vintage soda fountain taps back to working condition. They are the single-action pull type, not the double action push/pull type that are used at some soda shops.

The taps are in good shape, just needing replacement washers and gaskets. I haven't been able to find corresponding sizes in my searches so far. The gasket connecting the tap to the wall flange/shank may be leather, and an o-ring could likely work in its place. The tap pivot exits on one side and it doesn't have a visible gasket so I'm not sure how well it seals under pressure. The main tap seal washer is rubber, 5/8" dia x 3/4" long with a 3/16" hole.

Also, should I be concerned about metal contamination if carbonated water is left in contact with the brass internals?

Any pointers toward parts or info on similar taps would be much appreciated, thanks!

IMG_8727b.jpg

IMG_8725b.jpg

IMG_8726b.jpg

With new gaskets in hand, namely an o-ring and a plumbing taper washer, I finally put it to the test. Much success! No leaks.

I wasn't sure how it would seal, but it turns out that the line pressure causes the shuttle to seat itself once it's nearly closed. Is this similar to how modern tap handles work? I've never seen one taken apart. Nevertheless, it's an interesting design!

Though I'd love to use this tap to dispense soda water per it's original purpose, advice on this forum and elsewhere strongly cautions not to use brass or copper in contact with carbonated water. Thus I will stay on the safe side and connect it only as a regular water faucet.

Back