Vintage Chest Freezer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aarisom

Reaction score
Alright, guys. Can anyone help me identify what year this Coldspot chest freezer is?

Thanks for your help!

IMG_20170409_202706285.jpg

IMG_20170402_185107228.jpg

Not positive but I would guess 58 or 57 based on the 57 in the model number.

Source: http://www.appliance411.com/service/date-code.php

Brand: Coldspot
Type: Freezer
Model: 198.5716152
Serial: D1680498
Products with this serial number format do not incorporate a manufacturing date code so it is not possible to accurately date it from that information. The best we can determine is that this product may be a 1951 model and produced somewhere in that general time frame.

It also used fiberglass or rock wool insulation hat would saturate with water then sag into a soggy mess. I used to work for an appliance store and I hated dragging these old beasts out because they usually held 300 pounds of water. One was so bad we had to cut it in pieces to get it out! I repaired electronics for a living but pitched in to help when needed in other jobs. Got me out of the shop and into fresh air once in awhile!

Thanks, everyone! So it's between a 51-57. It still works great. I'm thinking about restoring it to make an awesome keezer. I can't find any information about it to buy a new plate over the temp dial--the hole in the lower right side of the picture.

It also used fiberglass or rock wool insulation hat would saturate with water then sag into a soggy mess. I used to work for an appliance store and I hated dragging these old beasts out because they usually held 300 pounds of water. One was so bad we had to cut it in pieces to get it out! I repaired electronics for a living but pitched in to help when needed in other jobs. Got me out of the shop and into fresh air once in awhile!

How do I get into the insulation between the outside and inside? I accidentally punctured a refrigerant line in the back from screwing the lid hinges back on :(

Well I got it off and found the hole in the copper pipe. Ugh! I can fix it, but I just don't know how to where to start to get the system recharged.

In order to charge it you need to pull a vacuum on the lines, if it doesn't already have a charge port one can be silver soldered in. Best left to a professional who has the right equipment!

Thanks, MaryB. I think I burned up the compressor too :'( any idea where I can get a new compressor? Looks like this is turning out to be a very expensive mistake.

Well, it's not totally toast yet, but it's now officially one hella expensive project to be sure.

A new compressor could be fitted - while one could assume a direct replacement isn't going to happen given the age, there's not a lot to domestic appliance compressors (power, goes-in and comes-out refrigerant connections, thermostat) and a good tech could come up with a solution.

The damaged tubing could be repaired though there will be cosmetic damage incurred (fortunately in the back of the unit).
Charge and purge ports could be installed, the system integrity could be tested with a vacuum pump, and then the loop could be charged up with whatever working fluid is needed (even R-12).

But all that's gonna be a heavy hit to the wallet.
My SWAG would come in around $600 all up and running again, and I may be a bit optimistic with that...

If you like the look adding a modern scroll compressor would be an energy saver. But as mentioned, not going to be cheap! If you can source a compressor yourself and have it installed(fittings are brazed) then only need to pay for the vacuum and charge it might not be so bad

Thanks, everyone. Coming across these old freezers isn't too common around here. So, I hate to say it, I'm going to pay to have it fixed. I'll call a local appliance repair shop tomorrow for a quote. Here is a picture of the compressor.

IMG_20170925_200626875.jpg

The appliance shop said that it'll cost around $600, as day_tripper indicated. :( So! I am going to find a compressor and ask my neighbor who is a plumber braze the fittings. Sears doesn't sell this compressor anymore, so I could really use the community here to help me locate something that will work (crossing my fingers).

Are you certain that the compressor is junk? I know there is a thermal cutoff that frequently goes out on these, and its cheap and easy to replace. Its a mechanical device and may not have ever been actuated before in it's almost 70 year history and so it might have just locked in the open position the first time it was tripped. I'm no expert and you probably already checked into this, just wanted to mention it before you go hunting for a replacement. Good luck, and I really hope to see it resurrected as an epic keezer!

That's a good point. It might be the thermal cutoff. When I plug it in sparks fly from the plug and the breaker trips.

Yeah, that's not the thermal cutoff doing anything at all then.
If it was there would just be sudden silence - no drama, no sparks.
That's a dead compressor most like due to a shorted winding.

You're going to want to find a low-tech compressor with suitable capacity.
As anything built since foam insulation came into play will be way more efficient than that glass-stuffed beast, you probably can't just use a compressor from a similar sized cabinet. I'd go up a couple of cabinet sizes - ie: if yours is a 20cf, find a 25cf unit or larger and do a parts search on that...

Cheers! (with the calibrated SWAG ;))

Dig through here, you will have to compare things to the model numbers to find one a suitable size. http://www.deyparts.net/catalog/refrigerator_compressors More than I want to do as a freebie, might take 3-4 hours... so take a day off and see how big of a freezer the compressor fits by looking up model numbers. Company is reputable! I bought my first furnace through them when I was working at the appliance store. Before that I heated with a natural gas space heater in the kitchen and froze in my bedroom! Fun and joy of remodeling a tax auction house while you live in it! $700 total for the house including back taxes, 3/4 acre lot, $20k in remodeling later... Central part of the house was built in 1880 and the floor joists are logs!

Back