Vinegar smell on faucet cap/brush

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pointyskull

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I recently kegged a Leffe Blonde clone, and while the beer tastes great I am getting a vinegar-ish smell on the tapper faucet cap/brush when I take it out to pour a glass.
I have never come across this before, and tap lines are cleaned regularly.

Wash the cap/brush and replace - and the smell returns within a day or so.

It's not impacting the beer flavor - but I'm curious what could be causing the smell on the faucet cap/brush.

It's not impacting the beer flavor - but I'm curious what could be causing the smell on the faucet cap/brush.

Probably Acetic Acid from Acetobacter. Have you seen any fruit flies around?

No fruit flies evident anywhere. It's weird, seemingly.
I had that happen when I was using a brush/cap combo, then I switched to a cap only and haven't had the problem since. Look up "Beer faucet cover cap" That fixed the problem.
1634933238610.png

I spray my brushes with a shot of star san, insert into the faucet a couple times x2. Let it dry overnight, then put a rotated brush in. I have 4 taps, and have 5 brushes. I always rotate that 5th brush, just in the case the one I used to scrub the night before isn't 100% dry. No problems over the past year or so of owning.

Those brushes are nasty things that should only be used for scrubbing out a spout. They do not seal air out, so even nastier things can attach to them, and they dry up and get sticky.

I have always used those black faucet "condoms", washing them weekly. No bugs...

Cheers!

Take off the tap, disassemble and clean/sanitize it well. Then moving forward, keep a little spray bottle of sanitizer next to your tap. Give it a squirt and the get the sealing caps without the brush.

Latest posts

Back