Vindaloo and California Common

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DUCCCC

Reaction score
I just got done eating way too much Pork Vindaloo with a bottle of the CA Common I made a couple months ago. It was damn good, if I do say so myself.

Made the Pork Vindaloo using the recipe and spices from Penzey's. My FIL got me the "Some Like It Hot" 8 jar gift box a while back, and I finally broke into the Vindaloo. I have to say it wasn't what I was expecting, as I usually order Lamb Vindaloo whenever I go out for Indian, and I don't recall so much of a nutmeg/cinnamon/allspice kind of flavor, but this was excellent none the less. I added 2 tablespoons of ground cayenne to the pot, and I had a pretty spicy dish, but I think I've had hotter. Served the dish on a bed of long grain rice. I was out of Basmati.

I almost forgot, I made a batch of Ghee before I made the Vindaloo. For those not familiar with Indian food, this is a "reduction" of butter. It's more than just clarified, as the butter is cooked until the solids in it brown and settle out, and all the water is cooked out. It's got the most wonderful scent, somewhat like a great grilled cheese sandwich, and it's got a much higher smoke point than regular butter.

I also made Naan. I didn't do it in the oven though, as I didn't want to heat any more of the house than I already was. I cooked the Naan in a large cast iron pan, like I've done other flatbreads in the past. It worked great.

Naan recipe:
3 cups bread flour
1 tsp yeast, I used quick rise, but regular would be fine
2 Tblsp oil, I used veggie oil but EVOO would work too
4 Tblsp plain non-fat yogurt
1 tsp salt
1 tsp honey (sugar's fine if you don't have honey)
3/4 cup water

Mix all ingredients and knead well. Cover and set dough aside to rise. I let it rise about half again, not double, and divided it all into 8 balls of dough, then I let it rise for another 10-15 minutes. On a lightly floured board roll out the dough to about a 1/4 inch thickness. Heat oven to like 425º, or even higher if you like, and place flattened dough rounds on a rack on a baking sheet. Bake until the dough bubbles up some and the bubbles are nicely browned on top. Alternately, heat up a nice cast iron pan on the stove top to med heat. Place the Naan dough in, one at a time, ungreased and let brown well before flipping. Brush with a little Ghee when you remove them from the pan.

I used the Naan like I eat Chapati, and tore off pieces to grab chunks of the pork with. It was great.

Sounds like a great meal. I have been doing a lot of Indian cooking lately so I'm very excited to get your Naan recipe since I haven't found a recipe I'm in love with yet. I'm going to try it this weekend. Yum!

On a side note, I've been doing some marsala recipes using sacred cow so I may be going to Hindi hell. :(

that recipe for naan sounds GREAT! i have been lookin to find some good naan in the area too! I love making sandwiches with it!

The naan came out pretty well. I actually kind of surprised myself with that one, but I can't take the credit either. I found it on YouTube...

[youtube]ZXOSO6nU_Z8[/youtube]

Latest posts

Back