Viili ........ a cheese culture for another product

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Owly055

Reaction score
I recently asked about using a mesophillic culture to make something along the lines of yogurt or kefir....... apparently something nobody even considers such crossover uses, judging by the replies I got. I tossed the same thought out on a Kombucha brewing forum, and a member came up with this very interesting link on a traditional Swedish soured milk product called Viili, which translates to "wild". Below are some of the microbes found in this product......... note that the first two are common cheese making microbes, the first used in Brie and Cammembert, and the second widely found in cheese cultures. At the very least, experimenting with cheese cultures for non-cheese products will be interesting........

Geotrichum candidum
Lactococcus lactis subsp. cremoris
Lactococcus lactis subsp. lactis biovar. diacetylactis
Leuconostoc mesenteroides subsp. cremoris

H.W.

https://viiliculture.wordpress.com/history/

I love viili. Every time I visit Finland I buy a bunch of it in the supermarket. Creamy and smooth. More gooey than yogurt.

Latest posts

Back