Viewer Discretion is Advised

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimgriz

Reaction score
Check out this video that I found on Youtube. Makes me glad I bought a pump!!!

Hope that link works otherwise look up the latest video from 'MoronBrothersBrewery'

Last edited by a moderator:
Ouch. Old rule I learned after watching someone try to remove their shoelaces after 25 gallons of boiling soup poured down their legs. Wear clogs when lifting hot liquids! Faster to get off and run under water to avoid bad burns. Hope these 'fellas made it okay.

Ouch. Old rule I learned after watching someone try to remove their shoelaces after 25 gallons of boiling soup poured down their legs. Wear clogs when lifting hot liquids! Faster to get off and run under water to avoid bad burns. Hope these 'fellas made it okay.

Better yet - don't lift hot liquids at all, at least in large quantities. Drain them, pump them, or cool them in place.

I can't believe I got away with carrying 5.5 gallons of near-boiling wort down the basement steps a few times....

I can't believe I got away with carrying 5.5 gallons of near-boiling wort down the basement steps a few times....

Man, so many times I have tried to pour strike water prior to a pump out of a keggle. My friends would take two steps back each time anticipating the scold.

First I was like :rockin:
Then I was like :eek:
Then I :D

Glad it wasn't me. However, I have a dent in my kettle where I almost dropped it on myself...with the hot strike water in it. Made a spectacular recovery and only lost a couple of ounces of water. I guess that's what I get for brewing alone...

Everybody was fine, just in complete shock. The pain of losing all that grain hurt more than the minor burns on our feet. We should have never put that cooler on the floor and then try to lift it back up. The weight and the hot temps made the plastic handle snap. Fortunately, we collected 6 gallons from our first runnings, and made a high gravity 5 gallon batch. We learned our lesson the hard way! Kinda funny looking back on it now. Hope this video helps somebody out.

Everybody was fine, just in complete shock. The pain of losing all that grain hurt more than the minor burns on our feet. We should have never put that cooler on the floor and then try to lift it back up. The weight and the hot temps made the plastic handle snap. Fortunately, we collected 6 gallons from our first runnings, and made a high gravity 5 gallon batch. We learned our lesson the hard way! Kinda funny looking back on it now. Hope this video helps somebody out.

You certainly lived up to your name. :)

_

I do my 10 gallon batches with the same equipment, but I put the keggle and the mash tun on a large table, no need to lift the tun. Pop the plug and back into the keg.

Glad everyone was ok! And nice recovery from a bad situation!

I still lift my Keggle up on a table to chill. Yep, lifting nearly boiling wort. At least my handles won't break! :D

Time to start wiring that pump!

That was pretty tough to watch, but glad everyone is ok. At least it wasn't post-boil wort that was dropped! Think of all the saved hops.

There's no need for a pump. It's not as sexy, but I transfer my strike water using buckets, to the MLT that is ON A TABLE ALREADY.

This..... I use a 1 gallon pitcher to move my strike water to my mash tun. The only thing I lift is the cooled wort to dump in the fermentor. This is one of the reasons that I am still doing 5 gallon batches.

Back