Vienna/Mosaic SMaSH w/ Brett+Conan

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dtwhite

Reaction score
I just kegged and bottled this recipe and am extremely happy with the results, so I figured I'd share. Smell is extremely fruity and distinctly pineapple. Low funk (for now), great mouthfeel despite being so dry. And, it's easy! Take note of my lame efficiency (I've since improved my process).

I used a single vial of Funktown Pale Ale Yeast from The Yeast Bay (Brettanomyces and "Conan") that I estimated to be at around 40% viability at the time of pitching, with the idea that the Brettanomyces would be emphasized. In total, spent around 5 weeks in the fermentor (no secondary), with the first week and a half under temperature control.

In fact, I think this beer might be a tasty base for a lactic-style sour beer with a few tweaks.

HOME BREW RECIPE:
Title: Pineappley SMASH

Brew Method: All Grain
Style Name: American Pale Ale
Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 6.33 gallons [I put 5.5 gals in the fermentor and left nearly a gallon of trub in the kettle]
Boil Size: 7.83 gallons
Boil Gravity: 1.041
Efficiency: 65% (brew house)

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.050
Final Gravity: 1.008
ABV (standard): 5.61%
IBU (tinseth): 25.15
SRM (morey): 6.66

FERMENTABLES:
14 lb - American - Vienna (100%)

HOPS:
0.1 oz - Mosaic, Type: Pellet, AA: 12, Use: Boil for 60 min, IBU: 3.92
0.1 oz - Mosaic, Type: Pellet, AA: 12, Use: Boil for 5 min, IBU: 0.78
1.8 oz - Mosaic, Type: Pellet, AA: 12, Use: Whirlpool for 30 min at 180 °F, IBU: 20.45

MASH GUIDELINES:
1) Temperature, Temp: 148 F, Time: 60 min, Amount: 8.5 gal, sansaire 156, 3ml LA
2) Sparge, Temp: 185 F, Time: 10 min, Amount: 1.25 gal
Starting Mash Thickness: 2.43 qt/lb

YEAST:
Default - - -
Starter: No
Form: Liquid
Attenuation (custom): 85%
Flocculation: Med
Optimum Temp: 66 - 72 F
Additional Yeast: The Yeast Bay Funktown Pale Ale yeast - 1 old vial

NOTES:
Fermented to around ~1.02 before it seemed the saccharomyces stalled, about a week and a half. Let rest in fermenter for another 4.5 weeks and gravity dropped to 1.008, bottled at this point.

Generated by Brewer's Friend - http://www.brewersfriend.com/
Date: 2014-07-15 16:28 UTC
Recipe Last Updated: 2014-07-15 16:28 UTC

Wow. I like it. I want to get this blend. I love all Vienna beers. I've done a clean, all Vienna/ cascade smash several times. Now I add a little c20 and victory. Sounds delicious!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

If you like the fruity taste I'd definitely recommend trying that yeast next time.

I just found the stuff. I'm excited! Did you pitch onto the cake?

Nice. I think something like this might just make it on my 'to brew' list.

I just found the stuff. I'm excited! Did you pitch onto the cake?

Nope. I don't have anything in the pipeline soon enough to do that, unfortunately. At least it only takes one vial.

I pitched just the vial. It was probably only 50% viable at the time, and I was ok with that because (a) making a starter would have screwed with the brettanomyces / saccaromyces ratio, and (b) I actually wanted underattenuation from the saccharomyces because I knew the brettanomyces would pick up the slack eventually and hopefully provide more character.

Did you really only use 1/10th of an oz of boil hops at 60 min or is that supposed to be 1oz?

The amounts listed above are what I did. When I buy hops I get them in 1 lb bags, then split them up into 8x 2oz foodsaver-type bags, so most of my recipes have hops in increments of 2oz. I wanted as much Mosaic flavor as possible so 1.8 of the 2 oz are in whirlpool.

Back