Victory Helios Recipe??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petep1980

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am in search for this recipe. I had one 22oz today and it's a wonderful beer. I tried identifying some ingredients, but I am still not skilled at that.

Does anyone have a recipe? I'd love to try and make this.

Gotta be the best $3.50 bomber of funky beer you can buy. All I can find on it is "German malts and European hops."

I'd go really simple, mostly German Pils, plus ~10% flaked wheat or wheat malt. Moderate hopping I like Saaz, but Goldings, Hallertau, or something of that sort would work as well. OG ~1.060, IBUs ~30. Ferment with a Saison strain and toss in the dregs of 2 bottles of Helios to get their Brett (of you could go with White Labs Brett C, which is a favorite of mine in Saisons since it doesn't get too funky).

I did a second runnings saison off of a Tripel that was a bit smaller, but otherwise similar, that I’m really enjoying on tap.

I'm feeling pretty cool because I just found this beer Friday, bought my first bombers Saturday, and had already planned a knock-off; thought I'd run a search on hbt, find this thread, the recipe in my head turns out to be about 95% of what OldSocks recommends...and coming to the same conclusions as OldSocks, on funky beers, makes me feel good about my mental palate.

OTOH finding out that a large Mid-Atlantic craft brewer is selling bombers of EXCELLENT brett saison at under $4 a pop ($3.98 in Denver, 1500 miles from the brewery) places a rather large obstacle before my dream career (that of a nano Mid-Atlantic farmhouse brewer, selling bombers of EXCELLENT brett saison at $7.49 a pop)

Good luck!

I'm down to my last bottle of the "live" Brett Helios, probably should drink it soon before it explodes...

I'd be interested in seeing a recipe for this beer, if anyone has one. Had three glasses of helios at belgium comes to cooperstown on sat, great beer!

I've had this beer a few times before, but never remember any semblance of Brett character in the beer. I also don't see anything on Victory's website that says there is Brett in this beer. Is there Brett in it?

I've had this beer a few times before, but never remember any semblance of Brett character in the beer. I also don't see anything on Victory's website that says there is Brett in this beer. Is there Brett in it?

Undoubtedly.

Clint04 said:

Yup

Well, no live Brett anymore. They had some bottles explode back in 2010 and did a recall, so the beer is now funk’ed in a tank, then filtered before bottling. So it isn’t as Bretty as it used to be.

I made mine with 3787 and bottled with dregs from a Helios bottle. I detailed it in a thread in the fermentation forum titled 'big Belgian split'.

The 'control' batch turned out well. I fully expect the Helios bottled one to be wonderful.

I didn't focus much on grain and hops as I thought the yeast-driven flavors were most important.

Back