Victory for a really nutty brown?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

etcetrah

Reaction score
Hey guys, first post, but I've been reading for a few months now.

I want to do a nut brown that has lots of nut taste and I have heard a lot about using Victory to accomplish this. Using Victory would also be an excuse to brew my first partial mash. Here's what I was thinking:

1 lb. Maris Otter
1 lb. Victory
1 lb. Crystal 60
8 oz. Chocolate

Partial mash at around 153F for one hour, then

6 lbs. light LME
1 oz. Cascade (5.9% pellet) 60min.
1 oz. Glacier/Williamette/Fuggles/Goldings 2min.
Nottingham dry yeast

If I go with this recipe, I will probably shoot for 5.5 gallons, since the OG is a little high at just five gallons and I have been annoyed at ending up with less than five gallons at bottling due to racking and testing losses on my previous batches.

Another note to add is that my first batch of HB ever was a Nut Brown Ale kit. It has a hint of the nutty taste that I am after, but too much roasty flavor. The kit included a few oz. of roasted barley, which I have left out of this recipe. I'd like to do this with just grains, rather than adding some type of nut flavoring.

Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks for the forum and the advice (in advance)!

Kevin

I use Victory in my Nut Brown and it turns out very good. I think your recipe looks good. I think I might try Victory in an IPA or APA at some point.........I enjoy the Victory! Some people might get all excited about having 1lb Victory and 1lb of Crystal 60 and 8 oz Chocolate, but I think it will be fine, should give the beer some nice body.......should balance the attenuation of nottingham.

I recently did a nut brown based off the table rock nut brown recipe in BYO...AG that you can convert to PM if you want. Very tasty and will be brewed again:

8 lbs Pale Ale Malt
14 oz Carapils®/Carafoam®
6 oz Brown Malt
7 oz Crystal Malt 20°L
4 oz Crystal Malt 120°L
2 oz Chocolate Malt
2 oz Black Malt
.5 tsp Irish Moss - added during boil, boiled 0.0 min
1 oz Willamette (4.2%) - added during boil, boiled 60 min
1 ea Danstar Windsor

The pound of Crystal 60 is because I have it and the pound of Victory is just a nice round number, so I'm not married to those quantities. The pound of MO is just a guess at a quantity that will give me enough enzymes to convert the victory.

I was wondering about a good ratio between the chocolate and the victory. Will too much chocolate cover the nutty, toasty flavors of the victory, since chocolate is darker? Is my 2-1 ratio good or should it be more like 3 or 4-1 victory to chocolate?

Maybe considering dropping the chocolate to 4 oz., you'll still be well within the brown color range. Brew it up, take good notes and you can tweak the next batch to have a little more of this or a little less of that.

Great! Thanks for the advice/encouragement. This is on tap, but I have run out of refrigerator space and bottles, so it may be a month or so before I brew it. I'll try to remember to post back to this thread with results.

Cheers!:mug:

I think a nut brown should have at least 8 oz of English brown malt and maybe a titch of chocolate malt (4 oz). You can adjust the color by increasing the brown malt or using a german dehusked malt. The Marris Otter of Simpson pale also run a bit darker and are very nice for this sort of thing. I would steer away from crystal unless you wanted to roast some pale malt yourself.

My recipe for a mini mash would look like this:

1 lbs brown malt
4 oz british choc
4 oz lightly toasted oats
2 lbs Marris Otter

6.6 lbs Edme Light extract
1 oz Styrian Goldings at boil (60 min)
1 oz EKG at KO
Nottingham yeast
Use CaCo3 rich water in mash, D.I water for everything else

I'd cut the C60L to 8oz. and the chocolate to 6. If you stick with the original quantities, a longer mash might be a good idea. Or cut a pound of DME and use two pounds of MO.

Basic rule for PM: add up all of your specialty grains and use that much 2-row. Exceptions can be made for self-converting grains like Munich and Vienna.

OK, I've modified the recipe as follows:

2 lb. Maris Otter
1 lb. Victory
1/2 lb. Crystal 60
1/4 oz. Chocolate

Partial mash at around 153F for one hour, then

6 lbs. light LME
1 oz. Cascade (5.9% pellet) 60min.
1 oz. Glacier 2min.
Nottingham dry yeast

This should give me a really good idea what the Victory adds to the mix. I'm intrigued by the brown malt idea as well, but I want to try Victory first. I'll post again after it's brewed and give feedback. Again, thanks for the feedback.

Kevin

Did you brew this one up yet? I'm thinking about doing something similar for my first partial mash, except I will probably sub in a half pound of brown malt instead of the crystal (I'll be using different hops as well.)

Back