Victoria mill or roller mill

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Like having a skateboard as a back up plan for your car. No comparison. Sorry. They suck for milling grain for brewing. Cheap does indeed mean crap.

Dunno. Maybe the one you had was broken. I'll grant in terms of how long it takes to crush the grain, at least by hand it seems like I might be able to do 1# per 90 seconds if I am lucky, I am thinking it'll be closer to 2 minutes per pound. Which isn't super fast. My LHBS I think has a monster mill (I'd have to ask them), but their's can manage about 2.5# in about 60 seconds with the belt drive they have hooked up to it (their second mill is slower, about 1.5# per minute)

However, in terms of the crush, at least how I have mine setup it is a really nice crush. Should be awesome for BiaB. The husks seem relatively intact, though torn instead of split open. The meal is relatively fine, and mostly seperated from the husks. The dual roller mill at my LHBS, even with two passes I have a reasonable number of husks with meal still attached to the husk, or relatively large in size (probably much better for lautering, but not as good for BiaB).

At worst I'd consider it like having a civic as a back-up for your F150.

I've used both types and wouldn't even consider buying another mill...my Corona setup (with drill for power) is fast, clean, and the crush gets me over 80% efficiency every batch... my RAM pickup was over $50K and my mill was under $50... both are keepers that don't require a backup. :mug:

Latest posts

Back