Very quick ferment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wagz

Reaction score
So this past sunday I made a imperial stout. I pitched it on a cake of wyeast 1056. The OG was 1.096, I took a measurement tonight with my refractometer and with the corrected value it measured out at 1.011. The room temp it fermented in was about 66-70 based on time of day. Does this seem typical to go 85 points in 4 days?

4 days is a long time... definitely leave it full 2 weeks to mellow, but after 4 days the major part of the fermentation is done provided it started in 4-8 hours... you are now just waiting for the last little bits of fermentation and for it to settle out...

4 days is a long time... definitely leave it full 2 weeks to mellow, but after 4 days the major part of the fermentation is done provided it started in 4-8 hours... you are now just waiting for the last little bits of fermentation and for it to settle out...

Agreed.

Your yeast are essentially done fermenting, though your gravity may still drop a few number of points over the next week or so. They still need to clean up after themselves, and that's where time is a virtue.

I plan on letting it sit for a few weeks to clean up etc, but I didnt expect it to drop 85 points in 4 days.
Thanks

Back