Very odd issue with new fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

treaves

Reaction score
I just did my first fermentation with a Sabco fermenter. I have this very odd issue that makes me think I may need to dump the batch.

When I purchased the fermenter, it looked clean, so I only sanitized it. I set it up, and put the blow off tube into a jug 1/2 of sanitizer. When I transferred it last night, I noticed the blow off tube, where it was in the jug on sanitizer, had turned milky, ad was a bit tacky. I thought this odd, but, as I'd never used a blow off, didn't know what to make of it.

Then, I went to clean up, and noticed that the outside top of the jug I was using (this is a 1/2 gallon jug some restaurants use instead of growlers) was oily. This was NOT there when the process started.

Any ideas?

The only thing I could speculate is that the keg had oil left in it from the manufacturing process, and that it dissolved in the CO2, and that is what caused the tube to turd milky, and that it then settled out onto the top of the jug.

Is there any way to tell if there is residual oil now in my beer? Any other ideas?

Thanks.

The blow off tube in Starsan will turn milky and slightly slimy.

No biggie. You brew should be fine.

I'm going to disagree - any new product has a good chance of having residues from the manufacturing process, not to mention any dust, shavings, dirt, and so on it accumulates during packing and shipping. These are not necessarily good for wort. IMHO, any new equipment needs to be washed thoroughly before first use.

I agree with beergolf. Starsan tends to effect PVC hoses when soaked. Makes them slimey/sticky. Also, starsan turns milky after a while.

Back