Very newbie question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pinchecharlie

Reaction score
What is the proper way to calculate ingredients in a recipe for different volumes? Told you it was bad. Feel stupid sometimes but better to ask than ruin a bunch of stuff right?!

*EDIT*

I really need to look at what forum I am in before answering... sorry, my bad, carry on, show's ovah...

Thanks for the link and your recipes. I have them all printed out from your web site. Sorry but I must be missing the fundamentals to know how to scale down or increase a recipe. There was no mention of this on your link but then again iam not retaining everything I read since iam new and learning. So on the calculator page there are no options for apple juice or cider and the other sugars look wrong so I don't know? You more experienced Brewers and wine makers make larger batches than I want to attempt a sometimes and I am better at following directions exactly than improvising. The wife says to simply divide the recipe to my size ?ie: a 6lg to 1gl is simply divided 6 by 6 ? If she's right I will lie and make up a complicated reason why she's wrong! Thanks and look forward to making yourBOOM recipes as soon as my fer aid comes in! Oh and I wanted to change a cider recipe I found on here so un related to your BOOM recipes

okay, so, scaling recipes.
wine, Mead & cider. she is correct, its simply dividing. it usually works out to be so much fruit or honey or sugar per gallon.
beer recipes can be a bit trickier to scale. it really depends on your boil gravity, target ibu's, etc.

Back