Very new to this, trying to figure out what I really need.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrisfromwa

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I've been really gaining an interest in brewing some of my own beer.
I've been doing some reading on various sites, and getting a lot of information on it.

I like the idea of the kits, like this one.
https://www.homebrewsupply.com/advanced-homebrew-beer-kit.html

but I'm wondering is the equipment in these kits what I really need, or is it better to buy items separately and get better quality?

For example, I notice in all these kits the pot is a 5 gallon. But many of the sites say to go with bigger kettles especially to reduce the risk of a boil over.

So is better to buy a kit without the kettle, and buy a bigger kettle? Or buy everything separately?

Thanks in advance any advice, suggestions you have on this.

My dream someday if I get good at this, is attempt a DFH 90 or 120 clone.

Hard to advise on something like this without knowing your budget and interest level.
If the combined discount isn't more than 20% I would buy everything separately and get exactly what I want.
I started small and worked my way up, but I wish that I didn't because I have a bunch of expensive stuff lying around that I don't use anymore.

The 5 gallon kettle is not big enough for a full boil but fine for a partial boil.
How will you conduct your boil, none of these kits contain a burner. Bayou Classic now sells a 8 gallon homebrew starter kit that is pretty cheap that contains a SS burner.
The cooling step is a PIA; have you ever moved a heavy pot of boiling water to a waiting 30 gallon container full of ice? It sucks less with an immersion chiller. SS is easier to clean.
Glass Carboys are over rated, heavy, and glass. Better bottles are better. Buckets are good, but don't last very long.
Auto siphon and bottle filler are needed; they are cheap junk that don't last very long but you still need them at this stage. Auto siphon turns into a siphon/wine thief after a few batches.
You need a hydrometer; you don't need a special hydrometer glass. Auto siphon comes apart and doubles as a wine thief; hydrometer fits in it perfectly.
2 handed cappers suck, bench cappers don't cost much more yet suck less.
"How To Brew" is great reading material for a begineer; free online too.
You need starsan or iophor for sanitizing. For cleaning you can use oxyclean; better if you mix oxyclean with TSP (3:2).
You should have brushes and a big stirring spoon lying around the house. SS scrub pads are bad ass and super cheap.
You need a bottle washer/rinser. You may want a bottle tree and bottle sanitizer.

This should get you started; next week when you want to move into all grain we will need to hook you up with another large list of equipment.
Won't be long after that you will want an electric 3 vessel fully automated system.

Start small, see if you like it, and go from there. Don't try to buy everything for a perfect setup at once or you will end up with stuff you don't use or buying things again because the first one wasn't right. There are so many options and methods of brewing out there. Figure out what works for YOU and go with it. Constantly make decent beer then work on improving it changing one thing at a time.

I would buy your equipment separately. 5 gallon pot is too small and you could get an 8-10 gallon aluminum pot for the cost of a 5 gallon SS. As a new brewer you will want to see your product fermenting so you might want to go with plastic carboys (1/2 the price of glass, much lighter and a lot safer). The rest of the kit is pretty essential with the exception of the wort chiller. I chill my wort by adding pretty sanitary ice (container and lid submerged in Starsan for a while and bottled water added before freezing).
Best of luck whichever route you choose.

Don't forget to explore the used market as well. I only been brewing for less than
. a year and have accumulated a good bit of equipment this way. If you have a local brew club around they are a great resource for equipment. Don't forget Craigslist either. My best advice is to not get caught up in having the best of every thing right from the start. Educate yourself as to what process you want to use and build from there.

Welcome!

IMHO that kit is a bit much for starting off. I would go more with something like this:
http://www.northernbrewer.com/brew-share-enjoy-homebrew-starter-kit

You should start small and see if you like the hobby before going wild.

If you love it, you eventually add everything you need. If not you haven't spent too much.

This looks like a good place to start. $99 seems like a decent price. He can do partial boil extract kits to get a feel and most likely be able to do it on the stove, can chill in the sink or with top off water and not have too much invested if he decides he doesn't want to brew. The 5 gal kettle will come in handy if he upgrades and he'll be able to use it for other stuff.

Keep reading, watch some youtube videos of brew days (extract), to figure out what you need and what you don't.

Look at all the kits and list the equipment. Then pick a couple of online supply shops and put what you want into the cart on each site. Compare the prices. You might be able to get just what you want at a cheaper price by getting the pieces individually.

I don't know if it is better to get the kettle in a package, but you can get a 5 gallon one at the supermarket for about $20. As soon as you progress to full boil 5 gallon batches you will want at least 8 or 10 gallon pots (or even bigger).

Forget the floating thermometer and get a digital probe thermometer. Find one that reacts quickly. My first took 30-60 seconds to settle. TOO LONG.
Look at the "Broken Carboy Horror" thread before buying a glass carboy. I suggest PET or plastic bucket fermenters. If you get a plastic carboy you do not want the carboy brush, it will scratch the plastic.

In the kit you listed you do not even need the 5 gallon carboy. Ferment in the bucket until it is done then bottle it. There is no need to do a secondary (something that is still in most kit recipes for some unknown reason).

5 gallon pot is too small if you feel you MUST do five gallon batches. I do 2.5 to 3 gallon batches. 5 gallon pot is MORE than enough.

Making LESS beer at a time I get to brew more often. Brewing more often means I can keep more styles on hand, I like variety. If, by chance, I do make something un-drinkable I only dump 2.5 gallons. If you have a half-decent electric or gas stove you SHOULD be able to boil 3 to 4 gallons of wort on it. If you make 5 gallon batches and you drink two bottles a day you've got almost a MONTH of the same beer before it's gone. If all you have is two cases of bottles you're going to have to empty ALL of them before you can make another five gallons.

Yeah, yeah, yeah, it takes about the same amount of time to make 5 gallons as two-and-a-half. You can almost make ten as fast as five, you can almost make twenty as fast as ten and on and on and on. I think the up sides I see outweigh the bigger batch. I've never read anything about how homebrewers got started on the five gallon thing. I started that way only because "it's the way everyone does it".

I agree in piecing your equipment together. You can come out a LOT cheaper.

All the Best,
D. White

Start small, see if you like it, and go from there. Don't try to buy everything for a perfect setup at once or you will end up with stuff you don't use or buying things again because the first one wasn't right. There are so many options and methods of brewing out there. Figure out what works for YOU and go with it. Constantly make decent beer then work on improving it changing one thing at a time.

This.
You might not be aware of all the variations available to you. As simple as partial boil extract, a 3-tier all-grain set-up, or anywhere in between. Or you can start simple, then expand (to consider even more total options). I personally like the idea proposed by many of the posters - start small. I'd start with partial boil extract - small kettle, can be done on stovetop, no need for a wort chiller. And there's no need to ever expand, depending on your own preferences.

Fermenters are a separate issue from the wort making equipment. I like a bucket for safety and ease of cleaning. Carboys are popular - glass and better bottle. And large mouth "carboys" are available - see Big Mouth Bubbler and Fermonster.

oh wow, I didn't realize that I had gotten any replies.

Thanks Everyone,

So it looks like most everyone says to start smaller, and expand if you like it.
I think this is direction I'm heading. I think I'll still buy a larger boiling pot now, just so I don't have to buy another one later. For starting out, I'll be doing this on my kitchen stove (electric)

A few people mentioned better bottles? Is there different types?
I could also reuse ones from beer I bought in the store right? As long as I sterilize them good.

If anyone has links to either better items, or stuff I'm forgetting. Would you mind pasting them in the thread.

I'm going to try and get a list started of what all I need.

https://www.homebrewsupply.com/starter-homebrew-beer-kit.html
https://www.homebrewsupply.com/agata-bench-capper.html What's the difference between the different ones?

10 Gallon Kettle (I see some have thermometers built in, along with pouring spots. These needed, or do they just increase the cost). anyone have one they prefer?

Thanks!
Chris

A Better Bottle is a type of fermenter, a brand name. They are an alternative to using a bucket or a carboy.

Yes you can reuse bottles. As far as I'm concerned that's the only way to get bottles. Why buy empties when you can buy them full, and have something to enjoy in the meantime? Just make sure they are not twist offs.

For the kettle, you'll get all kinds of answers. I have a Spike Brewing 10 gal. I wouldn't get one without a spigot, and I prefer welded. I personally don't like the thermometer in the kettle. Just something to get in the way. It's easy enough to clip one to the side.

As far as the capper, I've been using the same wing capper like the one in that kit since I started. Never had a problem and have capped hundreds of bottles with it. Others don't seem to like them.

The first one has a weldless fitting, just one more chance for a leak. The second is welded, just put some Teflon tape on the threads and you're good to go.

I would suggest this for a starting kettle/burner:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00WJ0E6A4/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

It will take your forever to get a boil in the kitchen if you intend to do full boils.
I started with this same 7.5 gallon kettle, never got a boil over but it did get to the top (just watch it, reduce heat and stir the bubbles). It is pretty thin and cheap but it works.
You don't need spigots at this point but they are nice. When you are ready to upgrade to a 15 gallon kettle for 10 gallon batches you will want a spigot.
Adding one later is pretty easy with weld-less fittings.
You don't need a thermometer in a boil kettle, invest in a quick read thermometer for your mini-mash and check it periodicity. The cheapest Thermoworks thermometer ($19) is better than any dial thermometer you will find at a reasonable price.
False bottoms are for mash tuns, you don't need this until you move into all grain.
If the 2 hand capper comes with the kit just use it until you get sick of it; I used mine until I broke it. But if you have a choice the bench capper is much better.
For cooling you will need to get an immersion cooler or a large vessel to bath your kettle in. I don't know about you but I don't like handling 5 gallons of boiling wort.
Get a cheap SS basket screen; when you pour your cooled wort into the fermentation bucket pour through the screen to filter out hop debris.

Last edited by a moderator:
Agree with everyone's advice above for the most part. My only addition is not to go cheap/small on the kettle and burner. They both make such a big difference in the length of your brew day it is worth the initial investment, and should you find that you hate this hobby you will likely still find plenty of other ways to use them.

Back